Kebab and Shawarma both are very popular Middle Eastern street food now widely popular around the world. Though they may look similar, but there are various difference between kebab and shawarma in terms of origin, various types , ways of preparations.
Table of Contents
What is the difference between Kebab and Shawarma
To know the difference between Kebab and Shawarma in terms of pronunciation, definition, origin, and various types and ingredients used. Read the below detail for more understanding.
How to pronounce kebab
How to pronounce shawarma
” Shawarma ” is pronounced ” shuh-wahr-muh ” or ” shaw-wuhr-muh ” depending on the region and accent of the speaker.
What is kebab
Kebab refers to the dish where meat is either cut into pieces or ground then cooked on bamboo or metal skewers. Yet, some kebab varieties uses round patties then fried in oil without any skewers.
What is shawarma
What is the kebab origin
What is the shawarma origin
Though the origin of Shawarma is not clear. Yet it is believed Shawarma originated in the Middle East, especially Turkey or Lebanon in the 18th or 19th century.
After that Shawarma becomes a popular street food throughout the Middle East, Europe, and the rest of the world.
What is kebab made of
Kebab is usually made of lamb, beef or chicken which is first marinated with onion, cumin, coriander, paprika, and garlic powder. Then skewered and grilled the meat along with tomatoes, onions, and peppers over an open flame.
Finally, serve kebab with yogurt based sauce, Tahini, or tomato sauce. You can also serve kebab with served with rice, pita bread, or salad.
What is shawarma made of
Shawarma is usually made of chicken, beef, or lamb which is first seasoned with cumin, paprika, turmeric powder along with garlic, and lemon juice. After that roast the shawarma on a spit and shave it off in thin slices as it cooks.
Finally serve shawarma in a pita or flatbread along with tomatoes, lettuce, onions and yogurt-based sauce.
What are the types of kebab
- Chicken Adana: This kebab variety is usually prepared with minced chicken, beef or lamb. It is first seasoned with herbs and spices and then cooked on metal skewers in a traditional kebab shape.
- Shish Kebab: Also known as Turkish sis kebab. It is one of the most popular kebab varieties in the world. To make shish kebab any type of cubes of meat used from lamb, poultry, beef, and fish on skewers.
- Doner Kebab: Doner kebab is another popular kebab variety. Here sliced meat is stacked onto each other in an upside-down cone shape and then cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Finally served either on bread or on a plate with various vegetables, sauces, and bread.
What are the types of shawarma
- Chicken Shawarma: Chicken shawarma prepared with marinated chicken. After that, cooked on a spit and served with a variety of vegetables, sauces, and spices.
- Beef Shawarma: This type of shawarma is prepared with marinated beef. After that, it is cooked on a spit and served with a variety of vegetables, sauces, and spices.
- Lamb Shawarma: Lamb shawarma is prepared with marinated lamb. After that, cooked on a spit and served with a variety of vegetables, sauces, and spices.
- Falafel Shawarma: It is one of the vegetarian versions of Shawarma. It is usually made with fried chickpea balls and then served with various of vegetables, sauces, and spices.
- Shawarma Mix: Shawarma mix is nothing but combining different types of meats from chicken, beef, and lamb together. After that cooked them together on a spit and served with a variety of vegetables, sauces, and spices.