Chicken biryani recipe-partially cooked chickens slowly steamed with parboiled fragrant long grain basmati rice with a few herbs,is one of the popular biryani recipes across India.This is super easy recipe of chicken biryani that anyone can make at home without any difficulties.In this post, I will give you proper instructions on how to make authentic chicken biryani recipe at home?Note:if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Though most of the people cook chicken biryani by pressure cook and instant pot method but the traditional chicken
biryani always cooked in dum method, so I prefer this method in this recipe.
More Recipes You May Love
What is chicken biryani made of?
Chicken biryani is made of partially boiled basmati rice layered over partially cooked chicken gravy flavored with some biryani spices, herbs, aromatic saffron milk and a few drops of rose water, kewra water, and desi ghee.
What to serve with chicken biryani?
Note: If you want to make above chicken dishes hover over the chicken tab.
Tips To Make Best Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Rice: Best biryani can be made only using the best quality long grain fragrant basmati rice from any popular brand available in the market, soak them in the water at least 30 min before boiling it.
- Marination: As we do simple marination of chickens using thick curd and a few Indian spices which not only make our chicken pieces tender and juicy but also reduce cooking time.
- Traditional Flavour: In traditional biryani recipes the authentic flavors come out by using a few ingredients including Kesar milk, desi ghee, a few drops of rose water and kewra water, and rice stock.
Recipe of chicken biryani step by step with photo?
The complete preparation of chicken biryani classified into four simple steps,
first one is Basic Preparation For Chicken Biryani, second one is Marinade For Chicken Biryani,
third one Making Gravy For Chicken Biryani, fourth one is Cooking Rice For Biryani ,
the last one is Cooking Chicken Biryani Dum Style.
so, let’s make it now.
Basic Preparation For Chicken Biryani
1.Before start marination pours 350 to 400-gram fragrant long-grain basmati rice in a large mixing bowl.
2. Now wash the rice thoroughly in running water then soak them in the water at least 30 min to 35 min.
3. For preparing kesar or saffron milk mix 10 to 12 saffron or kesar with 50 ml to 60 ml warm milk, now set aside this mixture for some time until the milk turns from white to yellow.
Note: If you want to add potatoes and eggs in your biryani, then boil 4 to 5 small size potatoes and 3 to 4 eggs cut into two parts.
Though it is totally optional yet in traditional biryani recipes to increases it’s flavor these two ingredients easily available in most of the restaurant-style biryanis.
Marinade For Chicken Biryani
1. For marination, add 500 to 600-gram fresh chicken leg pieces in a large mixing bowl.
2. Now, mix 3 tbsp sweet thick yogurt or hung curd.
3. Then, add 1/2 tsp salt,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder.
4. Also, add 1/2 tsp black pepper powder.
5. After that mix 2 tsp rose water and 2 tsp kewra water.
6. 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
7. Finally, add 2 tbsp oil.
8. Now, mix all the ingredients with chicken pieces.
9. Now set aside this chicken marination for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Making Gravy For Chicken Biryani
1. Now for preparing gravy for chicken biryani pour oil in a Kadai.
2. Then add 3 to 4 sliced onions in this kadai .
3. Fry them in medium to high flame until onions become partially golden brown.
Note: Here we don’t need perfect brown onions like Hyderabadi biryani.
4. Next place the marinade chicken pieces on fried onions place and cook in medium flame for some time.
5. After that add ginger-garlic paste and cook the chicken for some time.
6. Next pour some water
7. Now add, 3 to 4 green cardamoms, 2-inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamom, mix everything, and simmer chicken for 2 to 3 min.
8. Also add 1/8 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp biryani masala powder,3 vertically sliced green chili and mix with this chicken gravy.
9. To enhances the flavor of chicken biryani gravy add rose water and kewra water, mix everything
10. Here is the most important thing to remember we have to cook only 60 % of chicken at this stage and the remaining 40 % will cook while giving dum in chicken biryani.
11. If you want to mix boiled potatoes and boiled eggs in your biryani then add in this stage.
12. Now mix everything and set aside this chicken gravy for later use.
Cooking Rice For Chicken Biryani
1. To perfectly cook rice for biryani, pour 1.5 lt to 2 lt water in a Kadai or deep bottom pan.
2. Now add few whole spices for chicken biryani including 4 green cardamoms,1 black cardamom,3 to 4 clove,1 small bay leaf, 1-inch cinnamon,1 mace,1 tsp cumin seed and 2 to 3 tbsp of salt
Note: To enhance more flavor of your biryani rice you can add 1 tbsp rose water and 1 tbsp kewra water in the pan.
3. When the water starts boiling add soaked rice in it also add 1 tbsp oil which prevents any stickiness of the rice.
4. Now cook the rice up to 60% to 70%. You can check the rice by pressing in fingers. When rice is 70% cooked drain the excess water from rice and cool them for some time.
Note: This rice stock has lot of flavors, so I store it in a bowl, I will add this stock while layering biryani rice.
Cooking Chicken Biryani Dum Style
1. Now for hassle-free cooking, spread at least 3 to 4 tbsp oil or ghee in the bottom of handi which prevents any stickiness of rice at the bottom of handi.
2. Now spread evenly the first layer of partially cooked chicken gravy at the bottom of handi.
3. Now, sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsp freshly chopped pudina leaves, coriander leaves on this chicken gravy.
4. After that as a second layer place partially cooked rice over this chicken gravy.
5. If you use boiled eggs and potatoes add at this stage.
6. Now, add another rice layer over boiled eggs and potatoes.
7. Next, pour Kesar milk which turns into a yellow color.
8. To enhances, biryani’s flavor add 1 to 2 tbsp rose water and kewra water.
9. Also, add 3 tbsp desi ghee and 2 cups rice stock which i separated while draining rice in a colander.
10. Sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander leaves,pudina leaves over top of rice layer.
11. Finally, cover the handi with foil paper and give dum the biryani in 2-3 min high flame and 15 min in low flame, to avoid any direct heat of biryani you can place handi over tawa or Indian griddle.
Note: At this stage don’t open the handi for further 15 min to 20 min. When biryani is ready carefully open the lid.
Fluff the rice from one side with a sharp spatula and serve hot with some salad or any chicken gravy dish.
Chicken Biryani Recipe Card
Here is the quick overview of all the ingredients of chicken biryani including quick step by step preparation of chicken dum biryani shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.