kadai chicken recipe-tender and juicy chickens cooked in tomato-onion gravy flavored with Indian Kadai masala is one of the popular chicken recipes in India. In this post, you will learn how to make chicken karahi recipe at home? Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
More Recipes You May Love
What is the chicken karahi recipe?
Kadai chicken as the name suggests marinated chickens cooked with tomato onion gravy and flavored with some Indian Kadai masala generally prepare in Kadai or Indian wok.
What serves best with Kadai chicken recipe?
Tips to make the best Kadai chicken recipe
- Kadai Masala: One of the main ingredients to prepare the best Kadai chicken recipe. Always saute the Kadai masalas in low flame otherwise spices will get burn.
- Chicken Type: As in authentic Indian Kadai Chicken bone-in chicken generally use so I use here bone-in chicken, if you like bone-less chicken you can use it, but it lacks authenticity.
- Marination: For tender and juicy kadhai chicken you have to make simple marination which not only helps your dish delicious but also reduces cooking time.
- Tomato: As we are using tomato puree in this recipe so make sure they must be ripe red one not green one, which ultimately sour your gravy.
Recipe of Kadai chicken step by step with photo?
The complete preparation of Kadai chicken recipe classified into two easy categories,
first one is simple marination for chicken karahi
the second one is preparing Kadai masala and the last one is cooking Kadai chicken gravy
So, let’s make it.
Marination For Chicken Karahi
1. For the tender and juicy chicken, we first do simple marination for chicken karahi, for this add 500 gm bone-in chicken pieces in a mixing bowl.
2. After that, add ½ tsp salt
3. Next, add ½ tsp black pepper powder.
4. Pour 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice.
5. Also, mix 1 tbsp oil with chicken.
6. Now, mix and set aside marinated chicken in the refrigerator for up to 30 to 45 mi.
Preparing Kadai Masala
1. Now for preparing Kadai masala to add 2 tsp cumin seed,2 tbsp coriander seed,2 dry red chili,1 tsp whole black pepper,
2. Also, add 4 cloves in a non-stick pan.
3. Now dry roast all of these spices in low flame up to 2 to 3 min until it gives a beautiful aroma.
4. After that cool these spices and pour them in a blender to make aromatic Kadai masala powder.
Cooking Kadai Chicken Gravy
1. Pour 5 to 6 tbsp oil in a kadhai or wok.
2. Now, spread the oil evenly in Kadai in medium flame.
3. After that, add whole spices including 1 medium size bay leaf,3 to 4 green cardamoms, 2-inch cinnamon,3 to 4 cloves, and 2 tsp cumin seed.
4. saute all of these spices in medium to low flame up to 1 min.
5. Now add 3 large chopped onions.
6. saute the onions in medium flame until onions become slightly golden brown.
7. Next mix 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
8. cook for some time until the raw aroma of ginger-garlic completely goes away.
9. Now add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
10. 1/2 tsp cumin powder and 2 tsp coriander powder.
11. Also, add 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder,
12. Also, add a little water and mix properly with this fried onion.
13. Add 4 medium size tomato puree,
14. Additionally, mix 1 tsp salt
15. Now saute all of them together for some minute until the raw aroma of tomato goes away and the mixture becomes thick.
16. Then add 2 tbsp Kadai masala which we already made in previous steps.
17. pour some water and saute all of these spices together for 1 min in medium flame.
18. After that, add marinated chicken in Kadai
19. cook these chickens in spices in medium flame up to 6 to 7 min.
20. Then add 2 tsp garam masala powder, pour a sufficient amount of water to boil the chicken.
21. cover the Kadai with a lid and simmer this chicken gravy at least 15 to 20 min until it completely cooks.
22. This stage, chicken becomes tender and juicy, meat easily separated from the bone.
23. Now, add 1 medium size onion by separating layers
24. Also, add 1 medium size cubed cut capsicum in this gravy.
25. Mix them in chicken karahi at least 3 min medium flame.
26. Finally sprinkle 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves in this gravy.
27. Finally, turn off the gas and garnish Kadai chicken with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with chicken biryani, egg biryani.
Kadai Chicken Recipe Card
Here is the quick overview of all the Kadai chicken ingredients including quick step by step preparation of chicken karahi recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient list.