Vada pav recipe is a popular street food in mumbai where spicy potato fritters or batata vada stuffed inside pav bread along with layers of spicy garlic chutney and green chutney. This famous mumbai vada pav is also known as indian burger. To cook this wada pav recipe at home you have to follow the below step-by-step instructions on how to make vada pav.
Apart from pav bhaji , Vada pav is one of the famous street food in Mumbai. If you ever visit Mumbai then you should not miss this delicious dish.
Though to make vada pav at home is a time taking work. But if you miss authentic indian food a lot then you must give a try to this mumbai wada pav for your family.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step-by-step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is vada pav
Who invented Vada Pav
According to popular belief, Mr. Ashok Vaidya first invented vada pav at a stall outside Dadar railway station in 1966.
Side dish for mumbai vada pav
You can immediately serve vada pav with garlic chutney, green chutney, sweet tamarind chutney even hot indian chai goes well.
How to check oil temperature for frying vada
Below are the three conditions to check the perfect oil temperature for frying bata vada. Before this make the flame medium flame of the oil
- Now add a small portion of batter to the oil, if it rises slowly or gets sunk inside then the oil is not hot enough for frying anything.
- If the batter goes to the surface gradually and starts bubbling then the oil is the best to condition to fry anything.
- But if the droplet rises too quickly and gets burnt or browned then the oil is too hot, and not good for perfect frying.
Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
Tips to make vada pav recipe
- Choice of Potatoes : To make perfect round batata vada you have to use low starchy yukon gold or red skin potatoes. Apart from this boiled potatoes should be firm not very soft texture otherwise you can’t make round vada shape.
- Add on : While making vada you can add cornstarch or rice flour along with besan. It not only makes your batata vada crispy but also helps to make a perfect round shape.
- Consistency of batter : The perfect consistency of the batter for batata vada should be medium thick. Because if the batter is too thin then you will get no taste of the outer layer and feel like just eating potato. If the batter is too thick then the outer layer can become hard, and chewy.
- Cooking temperature : The best temperature of oil for frying batata vada is medium flame. Because if the oil is too hot, then the outside of the batata vada will get fried but the inside will remain uncooked. Similarly, if the oil is not enough hot, then batata vada will absorb a lot of oil and becomes soggy while frying.
You May Like
How to make vada pav
Here, the complete recipe of vada pav preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is making potato filling for wada pav,
second one is batter for batata vada , third one is frying batata vada, and last one is making vada pav recipe
so, let’s make it now.
Making potato filling for wada pav
Preparing batter for batata vada
1. At first, for making batter for batata vada pour 150 grams of besan , 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt , 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder and pinch of hing into a mixing bowl.
2. Mix everything with a spoon then pour water as per need.
3. After that whisk properly to make a smooth medium thick batter.If the batter becomes too thin then your batata vada may break while frying. To fix this you can add some more besan.
Frying batata vada
1. Now for frying batata vada pour 500 ml oil into a deep bottom pan or Kadai.
Note : When oil becomes medium hot, place a small batter if it rises easily without sinking and browning then it is the right temperature to fry batata vada.
2. Next gently coat batata vada in a gram flour batter.
3. After that immediately place gram flour coated vada one by one in the hot oil and fry them in medium flame.
4. After 3 to 4 min when one side becomes firm and light brown turn them to other side.
5. When batata vada becomes crispy and golden brown from both sides immediately take them out from the pan and drain them on kitchen tissue.
Making vada pav recipe
1. In a grill pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, using a brush spread the oil thoroughly on the pan.
2. Now make the flame medium, place the pav on the hot pan, and using a spatula gently press the top of the pav.
3. After 2 to 3 min you get nice grill on the bottom side, then flip the other side and do as mentioned above.
4. Next assemble vada pav recipe, place the toasted pav on a serving plate.
5. Apply green chutney inside the bottom layer of the pav.
6. Also add spicy garlic chutney inside the top layer of the pav.
7. Finally place the hot crispy batata vada inside the pav and serve hot this famous vada pav recipe with your favourite chutneys and green chilies or hot indian masala chai.
Vada pav recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the vada pav ingredients including quick step by step preparation of vada pav recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.