chicken curry recipe is one of the popular chicken dishes in Indian cuisine. There are the different recipes of chicken curry available in the market but in this post, you will learn how to make authentic Indian chicken curry recipe which is prepared with onion and tomatoes gravy flavored with some Indian spices.
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Though this is a very simple and easy recipe of chicken curry without using any cashew paste and curd, yet it’s so much tasty and delicious.
More Recipes You May Love
Where does the chicken curry recipe come from?
Recipe of chicken curry is basically originated from Indian subcontinent,where chicken is cooked in onion and tomato gravy flavored with various powder spices including red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and some whole spices including bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves,cumin seed.
This chicken with curry recipe is also popular outside Indian subcontinent which is usually called curry chicken and often prepared with curry powder.
What serves best with chicken curry recipes?
chicken curry with rice is the best complementary Indian dish that everyone wants in their dining.It also goes well with Indian naan, roti, paratha.
What makes this Indian chicken curry recipe the best?
⇒ Use best quality garam masala powder.
⇒ Use bone-in chicken.
⇒ Saute chickens sometimes with spices before boiling.
What to choose garam masala or curry powder?
To prepare spicy chicken curry you need good quality spice powder which gives actual aroma in chicken curry recipe. Most of the Indian chicken curry is prepared with garam masala powder either homemade or good quality store-bought powder from any popular brand.
Note: if you want to use curry powder instead of garam masala powder you can use it but it does not have same aroma as
garam masala powder which lacks in flavor to prepare authentic Indian chicken curry.
What to choose bone-in or boneless chicken?
Most of the Indian chicken curry is prepared with bone-in chicken as it gives authentic flavor in a curry dish, if you like boneless you can make boneless chicken curry.
To maintain authenticity In this chicken curry recipe i use bone-in chicken.
Can we prepare chicken curry without yogurt and cashew paste?
as the traditional Indian chicken curry is made only onion-tomato gravy flavored with some whole spices and powder spices
without using any yogurt and cashew paste.
Note: at the end of this detailed step by step chicken curry preparation I put all the chicken curry ingredients list including quick
overview steps in the recipe card.
How to make authentic Indian chicken curry recipe step by step with photo?
To cook authentic Indian chicken curry recipe you have to follow two easy processes,
first one is the marinade for chicken with some Indian spices
the second one is preparing mouthwatering spicy chicken curry masala.
So, let’s make it.
Marinade For Chicken Curry
1. The first step of preparing chicken curry is imagination, so for this take a medium-size bowl add 500 gm bone-in chicken.
2. After that, add ½ tsp salt [adjust as per need].
3. Next, add 1 tsp black pepper powder
Note: If you want to add curd or yogurt add now.
4. Add 2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice.
5. Also, mix 1 tbsp oil with chicken.
6. Now, mix everything and set aside marinated chicken in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 hours or for tender and juicy chicken curry.
Note: While, marination is going on chopped 3 medium size tomatoes, deseed them and make a smooth tomato puree in a blender.
If you want to use cashew in your chicken curry recipe soak them in hot water at least 20 min, then make a smooth paste with adding a little water.
Preparing Spicy Masala For Chicken Curry Gravy
1. Now, to prepare masala for chicken curry gravy heat 4 tbsp oil in kadhai or pan and spread it evenly.
2. Then, add some whole spices including,1 bay-leaf or tej-patta, 2-inch cinnamon or dalchini,3-4 green cardamom or elaichi,2-3 cloves or laung and saute them in medium flame for 45 sec to 1 min.
3. Next, add 3 medium size chopped or sliced onions.
4. Now, saute them in medium flame until onions turn slightly golden brown.
5. After that, add 3 vertically sliced green chili.
6. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and saute them in medium flame until raw smell goes away.
7. Now, pour the tomato puree in Kadai.
8. Now mix it with fried onion and cook in medium flame up to 3-4 min.
9. Next add, a few spices for chicken curry including 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp red chili powder,1/2 tbsp salt. [adjust later after adding water].
10. Now, saute them in medium flame until the raw smell of all spices completely disappears.
11. Pour a little water and saute another 2 to 3 min in medium flame.
12. Next, add marinated chickens in Kadai.
13. Now, mix everything with chicken masalas and cook for 8 to 10 min in medium to low flame.
14.For, preparing chicken curry gravy to add 2 cup water in Kadai and mix everything.
15.Now mix all chicken pieces in this gravy. Also check the taste of salt, if required add now.
16.Also add 2 tsp garam masala powder.
17. For the vibrant color of chicken curry add 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder.
18. Now mix everything in this curry.
19. Then cover and cook chicken gravy in medium to low flame for up to 10 min to 15 min.
Note: If you want to use curd and cashew paste in your chicken curry recipe, you can add it after 10 to 12 min when chicken becomes tender and juicy.
Chicken Curry Recipe Card
Here is the quick overview of all the chicken curry ingredients including quick step by step preparation of chicken curry
shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.