Momos recipe is a popular north indian street food where flour based dumplings are steamed with cabbage, carrot and spring onion stuffing. This Veg momos recipe is also known as dim sim. To cook this delicious vegetable momos follow the below step-by-step instructions on how to make veg momos?
Though there is various recipe of momos you can make at home from chicken momo to tandoori momo, and veg momo.
This veg momos recipe is super delicious and very easy to make at home.
To cook momos at home follow the bellow tips and tricks and step-by-step instructions.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step-by-step recipe preparation keep reading!
What is veg momos
Veg momos recipe is a popular Indo Chinese recipe where flour based dumplings stuffed with veggies including carrots, cabbage, french beans, capsicum, onions and flavour with some sauces and spices.
Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
- Chicken momos
- Chicken soup
- Vada Pav
- Batata Vada
What to serve with momos
Serve dim sim or veg momos hot with a spicy momos chutney and vegetable soup.
Tips to make veg momos recipe
- Dough : To cook the best veg momos recipe make sure the dough must be firm and stiff, add only the required amount of water to knead. Momos sheet should be thick at the centre but thin at the edges.
- Spices & Sauce: I want simple flavour in my momos stuffing so i only add soy sauce, vinegar, a pinch of salt, pepper and chili powder. If you want you can experiment with different flavours of Indian spices.
- Veggies : You can use thinly sliced veggies including carrots, capsicum, cabbages and chopped french beans while cooking vegetable momos recipe.If you want you can add grated paneer, mashed potatoes, and mushrooms but it will change the authenticity of the dish.
- Cooking Method : Traditionally while cooking momos recipe, they are steamed in a steamer, when you touch the dough it should not feel sticky, and momos will also look transparent.
You May Like
How to make veg momos
Here, the complete recipe of momos preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is making dough for momos recipe,
second one is prepare stuffing for veg momos, third one is making momos and the last one is cooking veg momos
so, let’s make it now.
Making dough for momos recipe
1. At first for making dough for momos recipe in a large bowl mix 250 grams of all-purpose flour or maida,1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of oil.
2. Then sprinkle 5 to 6 tablespoons of water in parts and knead to make a firm dough. Make sure momos dough should not soft because it will become difficult to shape the dumplings.
3. Now apply 1 tablespoon of oil to the dough.
4. Finally cover the dough with a moist towel and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
Prepare stuffing for veg momos
1. For preparing to stuff for veg momos first heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan and spread it evenly on the pan.
2. Now add 1 large chopped onion and saute in medium flame for some time till translucent.
3. Then add 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste.
4. After that add 3 chopped green chilli and mix with them till the onions become completely golden brown.
5. Next add 1 large grated carrot, 1 medium size chopped capsicum, 150 grams of grated cabbage and 8 to 10 finely chopped french beans.
6. Now stir fry the vegetables on medium to high heat for 3 to 4 min.
7. You can also sprinkle 3 tablespoon of water then cover and cook veggies for 5 min on medium to low flame.
8. Furthermore sprinkle 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
9. Next add 2 teaspoons red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon black pepper and salt to taste.
10. Finally pour 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 teaspoon vinegar. Continue to stir fry on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 minutes more until our vegetable stuffing is ready. Let the stuffing cool completely.
How to make momos at home
1. Now for shaping momos place the dough on a plate.
2. Then divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal circular balls, you can roll with the palm.
3. First apply dusted flour on the board then using a rolling pin make a thin circle of 3-inch diameter from that dough ball. Make sure the centre is thick but the edges are thin.
4. Now pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable stuffing in the centre then apply water at the edges of the circle with your fingertip or with a small pastry brush.
5. Next lift one side of the edge and start pleating the momos finally join all the pleats in the centre just like modok.
Cooking veg momos recipe
1. Now for the steaming veg momos recipe first grease a steamer pan with some oil or you can place a large cabbage leaf on it.
2. Next arrange the veg momos in the pan, cover and steam for 7 to 10 minutes till the outer dough becomes transparent.
Note : Don’t overcook momos as the outer dough, becomes dense and chewy. The steaming time may vary on the thickness of the momos cover.
Finally, our veg momos recipe is completed. At this stage, if you touch the momo then the dough should not feel sticky to you. This means they are done and the momos will have a transparent look.
Veg momos recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the veg momos ingredients including quick step by step preparation of the veg momos recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.