Chicken Momos is a popular north Indian street food where flour-based dumplings are steamed with cabbage, carrot and spring onion stuffing. This chicken momos recipe is also known as dim sim. To cook this delicious chicken momos follow the below step by step instructions on how to make chicken momos?
Though there is various recipe of momos you can easily make at home. For example steamed chicken momos, fried chicken momos and tandoori chicken momos.
Each momos recipe has a different taste and texture. Among them, these are very simple momos recipe which you can easily cook at home.
To cook momos at home follow below tips and tricks and step by step instructions.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
What is chicken momos
Chicken momos is a popular Indian street food where flour-based dumplings stuffed with cooked chicken flavour with some sauces and spices.
Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
- Chilli Paneer
- Chicken Manchurian
- Veg momos
- Veg fried rice
What to serve with momos
Serve chicken momos hot with spicy momos chutney and hot chicken soup.
Tips to make chicken momos recipe
- Dough : To cook the best chicken momos recipe make sure the dough must be firm and stiff, add only the required amount of water to knead and the Momos sheet should be thick at the centre but thin at the edges.
- Spices & Sauce : I want simple flavour in my momos stuffing so I only add soy sauce, vinegar, a pinch of salt, pepper and chili powder. If you want you can experiment with different flavours of Indian spices.
- Chickens : You can use boneless chicken, especially chicken breast. First keema it then cooks in medium flame.
- Cooking Method : Traditionally while cooking momos recipe, they are steamed in a steamer, when you touch the dough it should not feel sticky, and momos will also look transparent.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make chicken momos
Here, the complete recipe for chicken momos preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is making dough for momos,
second one is preparing stuffing for chicken momos third one is filling and shaping chicken momos
so, let’s make it now.
Making dough for momos recipe
1. At first for making dough for the momos recipe in a large bowl mix 250 grams of all-purpose flour or maida,1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon oil.
2. Then sprinkle 5 to 6 tablespoons of water in parts and knead to make a firm dough. Make sure momos dough should not soft because it will become difficult to shape the dumplings.
3. Finally cover the dough with a moist towel and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
Prepare stuffing for chicken momos
1. Now for cooking stuffing for chicken momos heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan and spread it evenly on the pan.
2. Then add 1 large chopped onion and saute in medium flame for some time till translucent.
3. After that add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and 3 chopped green chilli, and mix with them till onions become completely golden brown.
4. Next add 400 grams of chicken keema and cook on medium to high heat for 8 to 10 min.
5. Furthermore add 1 tablespoon salt 1 tablespoon red chili powder, and 1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder and cook a further 2 min.
6. Now add 3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon vinegar, and mix them together.
7. If chickens stick together make sure you break the chickens into small pieces with a spatula. Finally, our spicy stuffing is ready for the chicken momos recipe.
Filling and shaping chicken momos
1. Now for filling and shaping chicken momos first place the dough on a plate. Then divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal circular balls, you can roll with the palm.
2. First apply dusted flour on the board
3. .Then using a rolling pin make a thin circle of 3-inch diameter from that dough ball. Make sure the centre is thick but the edges are thin.
4. Now pour 1 tablespoon of chicken stuffing in centre.
5. Apply water at the edges of the circle with your fingertip or with a small pastry brush.
6. Next lift one side of the edge and join to another side just like gujia.
7. Furthermore join both ends together just like an envelope.
8. Place the chicken momos on a plate for cooking.
Cooking chicken momos recipe
1. Now for cooking chicken momos recipe first grease a steamer pan with some oil or you can place a large cabbage leaf on it.
2. Next arrange the chicken momos in the pan, cover and steam for 7 to 10 minutes till the outer dough becomes transparent.
Note : Don’t overcook momos as the outer dough, becomes dense and chewy. The steaming time may vary upon the thickness of the momos’ cover.
Chicken momos recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the chicken momos ingredients including quick step by step preparation of chicken momos recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.