Malai kofta recipe – fried paneer kofta usually made of aloo and paneer mixture served with creamy, rich tomato-onion gravy is one of the delicious vegetarian curry recipes in India. If you cook perfectly this delicious malai kofta curry, I’m sure it will impress your guest. In this post, you will learn how to make malai kofta?
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Though, there is the various recipe of kofta available sometimes kofta is made of meat or mashed sweet potato or raw banana coated with egg white and then deep-fried in oil.
But in this vegetarian version of malai kofta recipe, the kofta ball is made of paneer and potato mixture.
If you are a beginner want to make malai kofta recipe the first time? Then don’t worry just follow the below step by step instructions, I’m sure you will easily make tasty malai kofta at home.
Table of Contents
What is malai kofta
As we know malai means creamy, rich curry which is made of tomato onion and cream, flavoured with lots of spices, and kofta is fried vegetable ball; made of aloo and paneer.
that means malai kofta recipe is nothing but koftas dunked in creamy spicy rich curry.
What to serve with paneer kofta recipe
If you want crispy kofta then make sure to add the fried kofta ball to the top of the gravy at the time of serving.
But if you want a soft and melt in mouth texture malai kofta recipe then you have to simmer the kofta ball in malai gravy for at least 2 to 3 min on low flame before serving it.
You can also check below recipes :
- Shahi paneer
- Paneer butter masala
- Matar paneer
- Palak paneer
- Chilli paneer
- Dum aloo
- Punjabi kadhi pakora
- Dal tadka
- Chana dal recipe
- Dal fry recipe
How to store malai kofta
You can safely store this malai kofta curry in an airtight container, and keep it in the refrigerator for approximately 1 to 2 days. But before using it keep it at room temperature then reheat it by adding a dash of water to it.
Garnish with a tablespoon of cream and butter before serving on a plate.
Tips to make malai kofta curry
- Choice Of Tomato : As tomato puree is one of the main ingredients of malai kofta curry, so to avoid any tangy flavour, choose a fresh large, red, ripe one before making puree at home.
- Choice of Paneer : To cook the best malai kofta curry always use fresh paneer from any popular brand, but before grating makes sure to soak the paneer in warm water for at least 15 min, then use, otherwise you can use homemade paneer.
- Cooking Method : Sprinkle 1 tsp salt in oil, make sure the oil is hot enough to fry this kofta ball on medium to low flame without sticking from the bottom.
- Crispy Kofta Ball : While making paneer kofta make sure it does not have moisture in it, otherwise it absorbs lots of oil, and sticks at the bottom of the pan. To avoid this just roll the kofta ball on cornflour or maida, before frying shake well to remove excess flour from them.
- Richness Of Gravy : For restaurant style malai kofta recipe must use good quality butter and cream which not only enhances the flavour of this dish but also increases the richness of gravy.
You May Like
Malai Kofta Recipe Video
If you want to watch the malai kofta recipe video watch it here, otherwise read the below article with step by step instructions.
Don’t forget to Subscribe.
How to make malai kofta
Here, the complete recipe of malai kofta curry is classified into three simple categories first one is making paneer kofta,
second one is frying paneer kofta and the last one is making malai kofta recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
How to make kofta
1. At first for preparing paneer kofta for malai kofta recipe, boil 4 to 5 medium size potatoes, peel and mash them.
2. Now add 250 grams of scrambled paneer to it.
3. Then add 4 to 5 tbsp cornflour to it.
4. Next add 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves,1 tbsp ginger garlic paste,1 tsp salt.
5. Furthermore sprinkle some powder spices including 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder,2 tsp garam masala powder,1 tsp roasted powder, and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
6. After that quick mix all of the ingredients together, then add 12 to 15 chopped raisins.
7. Now knead all of the ingredients together and make a nonsticky dough.
8. Finally take the oil on the palm, pick a small amount of kofta mixture in between the palm and make laddu shape from it, keep them on a separate plate for later usage.
Note : At this stage, must check whether the paneer kofta ball has moisture or not if it has still moisture in it
Otherwise, your kofta ball will stick at the bottom of Kadai while frying, then it will be a disaster.
How to fry paneer kofta
1. Now for frying paneer kofta heat 500 ml oil in a kadai on medium flame.
Note: sprinkle 1 tsp salt in oil, which prevents any stickiness of kofta at the bottom of the pan.
2. When oil is hot enough add paneer kofta ball, and fry them on medium to low flame.
3. At this stage paneer kofta will become crisp and golden brown from both sides, turn the flame off, and take them out from the oil.
4. Now transfer this fried paneer kofta to kitchen tissue to drain excess oil from it.
How to make malai kofta curry
1. Now for making creamy and rich malai kofta curry, heat 3 to 4 tbsp butter in a pan, and melt it evenly on medium to low flame.
2. Then add some whole spices including 1 small bay leaf,1 tsp cumin seed,3 to 4 green cardamom, and 3 to 4 cloves and sauté them for 1 min on medium to low flame.
3. After that add 4 medium size onion paste and 2 tsp ginger garlic paste.
4. Saute them until the onion becomes slightly golden brown, then add 2 to 3 chopped green chili.
5. Next, pour tomato puree and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 min.
6. Furthermore sprinkle some powder spices including 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder,1 tsp garam masala powder,1 tsp coriander powder,1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste, mix all of them together and saute for another 10 to 12 min.
7. At this stage kofta masala becomes thick and starts leaving the side of the pan, then pour sufficient water in it.
8. Now mix all of the ingredients together, cover the pan simmer this malai kofta gravy on low flame for 12 to 15.
9. Finally sprinkle 1 tsp Kasuri methi mix in this malai kofta curry.
10. Finally add 3 to 4 tbsp cream to make this malai kofta curry more thick and rich.
Note : After some time when malai kofta curry becomes warm not super hot then place fried paneer kofta ball on top of the curry, garnish with fresh coriander leaves, and serve warm with naan, roti , paratha.
Malai Kofta Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the restaurant style malai kofta ingredients including the quick step by step preparation of malai kofta curry shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.