This moong dal recipe is very healthy , rich in protein but simple indian dal recipe where yellow moong dal or split petite yellow lentils tempered with mustard seeds, cumin seed, hing, garlic curry leaves and a few aromatic spices.This moong dal recipe also known as moong dal tadka recipe or yellow curry recipe.To cook best dal recipe follow below step by step instructions on how to make moong dal tadka recipe?
Are you frustrated about boring moong dal recipe ? don’t worry just give a try of this punjabi moong dal tadka recipe which not only tastes very good but also it will change your mind about moong dal in future.
In indian cuisine mung beans mostly use as a staple.There are two types of moong dal available in india one is whole mung beans also know green gram and when husks are removed or you can say split moong dal, also known as yellow moong dal or yellow petite lentils.
We all know mung lentils have lot of benefits they are nutritious , easy to digest besides it also use to balance disturbance of the body.
But most of people hate it because they don’t know how to make moong dal delicious at home.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is moong dal tadka recipe?
Moong dal tadka recipe is a very simple dal recipe when soaked moong dal first pressure cooked with fried onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
After that tempering spices like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, garam masala , red chili powder, pinch of hing and garlic are fried in oil or ghee then added to the cooked dal.
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
What to serve with moong dal tadka?
Serve this Moong dal tadka with some steamed basmati rice or jeera rice even rotis goes well accompanied by a side vegetable dish or raita and some roasted papad and pickle also by the side.
Tips to make best yellow moong dal recipe
- Soaking lentils : If you soak moong lentils for sometimes before cooking then it will reduce your cooking time.
- Cooking method : You can cook yellow moong dal either pressure cooker or in kadai, for kadai you have to add more water such that dal cooks properly.While cooking make sure lids are open otherwise dal will be overflown.
- Spices : Use only required amount of spices including ginger, garlic , green chili, cumin seed, turmeric powder.For bright color i use kashmiri red chili powder.
- Tempering : Though it is not necessary but if you give tadka to your moong dal it will surely enhances the flavour.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make moong dal tadka?
Here, the complete preparation of moong dal recipe classified into three simple categories first one is soaking yellow moong dal,
second one is making moong dal tadka recipe and the last one is pressure cooking moong dal.
so, let’s make it now.
Soaking yellow moong dal
1. At first, in a mixing bowl pour 200 grams moong dal or yellow lentils,then pour water in it and wash the dal thoroughly, if any impurities is there you can easily remove it.
2. After that drain water completely and again pour water and soak dal for at least 30 min to 45 min.
Making moong dal tadka recipe
1. Now for cooking moong dal tadka recipe heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan , spread it with a spatula.
2. Then add 1 teaspoon cumin seed, stir it in low flame until cumin seed began splutter.
3. Next add 1 medium size chopped onion.
4. Saute the onions for 4 to 5 min untils it gets completely translucent and slightly golden brown.
5. After that add 1/2 tablespoon chopped ginger , 2 chopped green chili, saute them for 1 to 2 min in medium to low flame.
6. Next add 2 medium size de seeded chopped tomato.
7. Now saute tomatoes for 5 to 6 min until it gets slightly mushy.
8. Then add 1 teaspoon red chili powder , 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder , and pinch of salt.
9. Cook this mixture for further 4 to 5 min in medium to low flame
Pressure cooking moong dal
1. Now in a pressure cooker pour 500 ml water.
2. Then add soaked moong dal which we did earlier.
3. Next add the spicy tomato onion mixture which we recently made recently.
4. Close the lid of pressure cooker and pressure cook moong dal for 5 to 6 whistle in medium flame.
5. After that release pressure , open the lid and check whether dal is cooked or not.If it is fine then proceed next step otherwise give one more whistle.
6. Now transfer the cooked moong dal in a kadai and simmer for some time.If you need thinner consistency then pour some water don’t add too much.
7. Also sprinkle 1 teaspoon garam masala powder.
8. Check the taste of salt if required add more.
Tempering for moong dal recipe
1. Now tempering for moong dal recipe add 2 tbsp ghee or oil in a pan.
2. Add 1 tsp cumin seed 4 to 5 garlic and 2 vertically slit green chilli make the flame low and fry them don’t burn them.
3. Furthermore switch off the flame and add 1/4 tsp red chili powder , 1/4 tsp garam masala powder , pinch of hing.
4. Quickly stir everything.
5. Then pour this mixture on cooked yellow moong dal.Finally our simple but aromatic moong dal recipe is completed.
Moong Dal Tadka Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of moong dal tadka including quick step by step preparation of moong dal recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.