French fries recipe is the most popular deep-fried snack dish made with less starchy potatoes. This homemade french fries recipe will give competition to any fast food restaurants. It is also known as finger chips. If you want to make crispy french fries recipe at home which is tender and juicy from the inside but crispy from the outside.Then you are in right place. In this post, you will learn how to make french fries at home? Though preparing homemade french fries is a lengthy process from cutting, soaking, freezing, and double frying but it totally worth it to take the pleasure of french fries at home.
You can make this french fry or finger chips in various ways including baking, air fryer or the most popular deep fried method which gives perfect crispy french fries at home.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
What is french fries?
French fries are nothing but potato sticks fried in oil till crispy from the outside and juicy from the inside.
Basically in homemade french fries potato sticks first soak in cold water to remove excess starch after that blanch in boiling water pat dry them completely then give a coat of cornstarch and keep in the refrigerator.
Finally, double fry in oil at a different temperature to get perfect crispy french fries at home.
What is the origin of french fries?
French fries may not have actually come from France. According to the popular claim, these fries first originated in Belgium, where villagers along the River Meuse traditionally ate fried fish. But in the winter season, when the river froze, the fish-deprived villagers fried potatoes instead.
Whatever its the origin, we all love french fries. Below you will learn how to make perfect french fries.
What to serve with french fries recipe?
Serve these hot homemade french fries immediately with your preferred sauce, coriander chutney or mayonnaise.
How to store french fries?
To store homemade french fries in large quantities, first, fry the potatoes in hot oil first for about 1 to 2 minutes. Then remove them and drain them on paper towels.
Make sure potatoes should not be completely crispy and golden brown from the outside.
Then wipe the extra oil and place the half-fried potatoes on a tray cover it and keep in the freezer for at least an hour.
Now take out the frozen fries from the tray and transfer them to an air-tight container or zip-lock bag to store in your freezer.
How to reheat french fries?
Now you to reheat french fries just take them out from the freezer don’t require to thaw frozen finger chips. Just deep frying in hot or medium-high hot oil and deep fry the fries until golden and crisp.
If you want to use air fryer to fry french fries preheat it at 350° F oven until warm and crisp, about 12 minutes or so. Make sure you shake the air fryer every 5 min to perfectly crispy your french fries.
⇒Must Check Recipes
- Chicken masala
- Butter chicken
- Kadai chicken
- Chicken korma
- Chicken 65
- Chicken chettinad
- Chicken biryani
- Paneer tikka
- Hyderabadi biryani
- Veg biryani
- Veg pulao
Tips to make homemade french fries
- Best Potatoes : The best potatoes to cook homemade french fries are gold standard russet potatoes or choose any starchiest potatoes possible, which generally have tough thick skins. Avoid wax potatoes, as these have a lower starch content and become hollow when fried as the water evaporates.
- Soak Potatoes : Soaking potatoes in cold water before making the french fries recipe help potatoes to remove excess starch from the exterior and it also helps in creating the crisp exterior in our french fry.
- Cooking Method : For crispy french fries the potatoes first fry at least 250 F it helps to make crispy exterior but natural moisture from the centre of the potato makes the potato soggy. But the second fry at 350 F cooks off the excess liquid, and gives the beautiful golden hue we associate with perfect french fries.
- Choice of Oil : I suggest you can use any type of odourless and high smoke point oil for cooking french fries at home.For example vegetable oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, canola oil etc. Never use mustard oil which we most use in indian kitchen it drastically changes flavour of french fries.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make french fries
Here, the complete recipe for french fry preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is preparing potatoes for french fry,
the second one is blanching and coating for crispy french fries recipe and the last one is cooking french fries at home.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation for french fries recipe
1. At first, for preparing french fries at home thoroughly wash 4 large potatoes for finger chips.
2. Now, for a uniform shape in french fries, peel the potatoes with a peeler.
3. The most important step for cooking homemade french fries is it’s shape for this hold each potato in one hand and cut the potatoes vertically slice off 1/2 inch thickness.
4. Then rest the flat sides and cut each side into vertical sticks or lengthwise into equal thickness.
5. To make the juicy but crispy french fries recipe pour these potatoes in a large bowl of water and soak them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to remove extra starch from it.
Blanching and coating for crispy french fries recipe
1. Now to make crispy french fries recipe in a large kadai pour water then sprinkle a pinch of salt to boil the water for some time.
2. When water starts boiling, take out the potatoes from the refrigerator.
3. Now gently place it in this hot water and blanch the potatoes for at least 3 min.
4. Next drain the water and place the blanched potatoes on a strainer.
5. Then place the potatoes on a dry kitchen cloth and completely dry the blanched potatoes with this cloth.
6. Now in a large bowl add this blanch potato.
7., Sprinkle 4 tbsp cornstarch powder in it.
8. Also sprinkle a pinch of black pepper powder, salt and 1/2 tablespoon of red chili powder, a pinch of yellow food colour.
9. Now mix all of the ingredients properly, if possible don’t use your hand, just shake the bowl with two hands.
10. Finally place the coated finger chips in an air-tight container, and keep in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
How to make french fries at home
1. Now for making homemade french fries heat 600 ml oil in a large kadai.When oil is hot, if you have a thermometer temperature must be 250 degree fahrenhite take out the frozen finger chips from the freezer and gently put them in oil one by one.
2. Now fry the potatoes for at least 1 min till they get crust from outside not brown completely then immediately take out from oil and drain on kitchen tissue.
3. Let the french fries cool a little bit before starting the second fry.
4. Now increase the temperature of the oil to 350 degree fahrenhite and again fry the french fries in oil till they become completely crispy and juicy from the inside.
5. After that take them out and drain the french fries on kitchen tissue. Finally, our crispy french fries recipe is completed. Now, sprinkle some salt, chat masala and serve immediately with ketchup.
French Fries Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the french fries ingredients including quick step by step preparation of french fries recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.