Rajma masala – boiled red rajma dal or kidney beans slowly cooked in creamy tomato onion gravy flavor with a few Indian spices is one of the delicious vegetarian curry dishes in India. This punjabi rajma recipe is popularly known as rajma chawal as it is often served with chawal or rice in north India. In this post, you will learn how to make rajma masala?
This rajma masala is also known as kidney beans curry which is not only tastes very delicious but also very easy to cook at home, I am sure you can cook delicious rajma curry if you follow each instruction properly as mentioned below.
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is rajma masala?
Rajma masala is one of India’s most delicious vegetarian curry dish, where pressure cooked red rajma or kidney beans cooked in buttery onion-tomato gravy flavored with a few Indian spices and garnish with cream.
What to serve with the rajma recipe?
Rajma Chawal is the best combo dish you have to taste. Otherwise, you can serve plain roti, naan with this rajma recipe.
| You can also check below recipes
How to store punjabi rajma curry?
As we use cream and tomatoes so you can safely store this punjabi rajma curry in the refrigerator for at least 2 to 3 days.
But before using make sure you reheat this rajma curry with a dash of water then serve it.
Tips to make restaurant style rajma recipe
- Choice of Dal: To cook soft and tender rajma use red colour rajma or kidney beans from the latest packet, not the old one. Make sure you soak them in sufficient water for at least 10 to 12 hours before using them.
- Choice Of Tomato:As tomato is one of the main ingredients of the rajma masala recipe, so to avoid any tangy flavour, choose a large, red, ripe one before making puree at home. If the fresh tomato is not available you can use canned tomato puree.
- Cooking Method: While pressure cook make sure rajma is properly mashed and simmer them at least 30 min to get the awesome flavour from rajma curry
- Richness Of Gravy: For rich, thick restaurant style rajma masala you can add cream and topping butter or ghee at the end of the recipe as mentioned below.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make rajma masala?
Here, the complete recipe of rajma masala preparation classified into three simple categories first one is preparing for rajma recipe, and the second one is making rajma masala recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation for rajma recipe
1. At first, for making rajma recipe wash thoroughly red rajma dal or kidney beans in water then soaked in sufficient water for at least 10 to 12 hours, until they absorb water and become larger.
2. Now pour the soaked rajma into a pressure cooker, sprinkle a pinch of salt, and pressure cook for 7 to 8 whistles in medium to high flame and check whether rajma beans mashy or not, if not give another 2 whistles.
3. Furthermore cut 5 to 6 tomatoes into quarter shape, also deseed tomatoes and make a puree.
Making rajma masala recipe
1. Now for making the rajma recipe melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large pan on low flame.
2. Then add some whole spices including 1 small bay leaf,1/2 tsp cumin seed, and saute on low flame.
3. Next add 3 to 4 onion puree,2 to 3 chopped green chili,1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste, saute in medium flame until onions become slightly golden brown.
4. Now pour 5 to 6 tomato puree mix it properly with the rest of the ingredients for another 3 to 4 min in medium to low flame.
5. Furthermore sprinkle 1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chili powder,1 tsp garam masala powder,1/2 tsp coriander powder, and a pinch of salt and gently mix all the spices in this buttery tomato-onion puree.
6. Now saute all of them together up to 10 to 12 min in medium to low flame until the gravy thickens and leaves the side of the pan.
7. Finally add boiled rajma beans with 400 ml of water.
8. Mix all of them properly with the rest of the spices.
9. Next cover the pan with a lid and simmer this rajma curry for 35 to 40 min on low flame. After that period check whether rajma is cooked and becomes soft, otherwise pour more water and cook for more time.
10. Now, sprinkle 1tsp Kasuri methi mix them together.
11. Also sprinkle 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves and mix them properly.
12. Finally for restaurant style rajma recipe add 60 ml cream to this rajma curry
13. Gently mix them together for another 3 to 4 min on low flame.
Rajma Masala Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the rajma masala ingredients including quick step by step preparation of the rajma recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.