Tomato rice recipe is a popular south indian rice recipes where rice is cooked with aromatic spicy tomato gravy. Tomato bath is also known as Thakkali sadam in Tamil language. To cook this tasty tomato rice recipe follow the below step by step instructions on how to make tomato rice?
Though there are various ways you can cook south indian tomato rice for example sometimes you can add fresh veggies like green peas , carrots , sweet corn , potatoes and make the dish more nutritious.
If you are looking for a nutritious quick recipe but a very delicious meal for your family, then must cook this easy tomato rice recipe.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is tomato rice
Thakkali Sadam or tomato rice is a popular rice dish from Tamil Nadu cuisine. Here ‘ Thakkali ‘ means tomato and ‘ sadam ‘ means rice in tamil language. So, it is a spicy rice dish made with tomato, spices and rice.
Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
Side dish for thakkali sadam
You can serve tomato rice or thakkali sadam hot as a lunch menu along with crispy papad, raita or curd etc.
Tips to make tomato rice recipe
- Choice of Rice : Try to choose any type of short grain or long grain basmati rice, which are presently available for you. Make sure to rinse well and soak rice in water to prevent tomato rice become mushy and sticky.
- Choice of tomatoes : In thakkali sadam recipe, tomato is the base ingredient so choose fresh red ripe tomatoes which are less tangy. If you don’t have fresh tomatoes you can use canned tomatoes.
- Spices : To enhances the flavour in this tomato bath recipe try to saute whole spices in butter. Also, use good quality powder spices.
- Cooking method : Though you can cook tomato rice in either a pressure cooker or a regular pot but make sure you pour at least 3 times water from the rice and cook till all water is absorbed by the rice.
You May Like
How to make tomato rice
Here, the complete recipe for tomato rice preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is the preparation for thakkali sadam,
second one is cooking gravy for tomato bath recipe, and the last one is making tomato rice recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation for thakkali sadam
1. At first for cooking thakkali sadam recipe wash 250 grams of basmati rice thoroughly in running water then soak it in water for at least 30 min.
2. Now melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan.
3. Next add 10 to 12 cashew and 25 grams of peanuts.
4. Now roast them in butter for 2 min on low flame till they are crunchy. After that take them out from the plate for later usage.
Gravy for tomato bath recipe
1. Now for cooking aromatic, spicy gravy for the tomato bath recipe in the same pan add 4 cloves, 4 cardamoms, 2-inch cinnamon, 1 small bay leaf, 2 teaspoon cumin seed, and 1 teaspoon mustard seed.
2. Next saute them for some time in medium flame till crackling.
3. Now add 10 to 12 fresh curry leaves, and stir them till crisp.
4. After that add pinch of hing and mix all of them together.
5. Now add 1 thinly sliced large onion and cook till light golden brown.
6. Furthermore add 3 chopped green chili , 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and saute more till the raw smell disappear.
7. Now pour 3 large size tomato puree along with a pinch of salt.Cook 5 mins till it thickens.
8. Now add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder and 1 teaspoon fennel seed.
9. Cook until the raw smell of tomatoes is gone and oil starts releasing from the masala.
10. Now pour 700 ml water add pinch of salt and bring it to a rolling boil.
Cooking tomato rice
1. Now for cooking the tomato rice recipe add drained basmati rice to this tomato gravy.
2. Mix rice properly.
3. Now cover and cook tomato bath on low flame until all water is absorbed and rice is cooked properly it takes 10 to 15 min depending upon your container.
4. Finally add some roasted nuts and mix them properly with tomato rice.
Tomato rice recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the tomato rice ingredients including quick step by step preparation of thakkali sadam recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.