This chana dal recipe is made with bengal gram which is cooked with onion, tomatoes and some aromatic spices to make it flavorful. If you are a beginner this chana dal tadka recipe is for you. If you want to eat something delicious but high in protein-packed indian lentils without giving much effort then must try this chana dal fry recipe. Follow the below step by step instructions on how to make chana dal recipe?
This chana dal fry recipe is not only tastes delicious but also very easy to cook at home. To cook perfectly chana dal recipe, you have to properly follow the below step by step instructions.
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
What is chana dal?
In india chana dal is popularly known as bengal gram or split chickpeas. This chana dal comes from whole black chickpeas or kala chana where the outer husk is removed and split into pieces.
Besides this chana dal has lots of benefits as they are rich source of protein, high in fibre and zinc and almost fulfils our daily protein intake in a low carb diet.
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
What to serve with chana dal fry recipe?
If you cook this simple chana dal fry recipe for your family then chana dal is best served with steamed basmati rice or jeera rice even roti or naan goes well along with cucumber raita and some papads and some vegetable dish.
Tips to make the best chana dal fry recipe
- Choice of lentils : Always try to buy fresh lentils available from the market don’t buy any old lentils because they will take too much time to cook.
- Choice of veggies: Always try to use fresh ripe tomatoes either chopped or puree for the base of this chana dal fry recipe. For veggies like carrots, ridge gourd, and bottle gourd try to cook them with lentils in a pressure cooker.
- Cooking method: If you soak chana dal for at least 1 to 2 hours then it will cook faster. First pressure cook the chana dal and mashed it they add in tempered masalas in the pan.
- Spices: Use only good quality spices from any popular brand available in the market. For bright colour, i use kashmiri red chili powder, some kasuri methi and coriander leaves for enhancing the aroma of the chana dal recipe.
- Tadka and Smoke: Though it is not necessary if you give tadka or smoke using dhunagar method then the taste of your chana dal recipe will become any restaurant style dal recipe.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make chana dal recipe
Here, the complete preparation of the chana dal recipe is classified into three simple categories first one is cooking lentils for dal recipe ,
second one is cooking chana dal fry recipe and the last one is preparing to temper for chana dal.
so, let’s make it now.
Cooking lentils for dal recipe
1. At first, cooking lentils for chana dal recipe in a large mixing bowl pour 200 grams of chana dal.
2. Then pour water in it to soak the chana dal for at least 1 hour.
3. After that drain water and pour this soaked chana dal along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder into a pressure cooker.
4. Also pour 600 ml of water into it to cook the chana dal.
5. Now close the lid and pressure cook the chana dal for 5 to 6 whistle in medium flame. Check the chana dal if you can easily press it with your finger or not. If not then give at least 1 to 2 whistles.
Cooking chana dal fry recipe
1. Now for cooking chana dal fry recipe heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan, and spread it with a spatula.
2. Then add 1 tsp cumin seed, and stir it on low flame until it began to splutter.
3. After that add 2 medium size chopped onions.
4. Also add 2 chopped green chilli.
Note: If you simply want to avoid a lot of oil in cooking onions then add a dash of water to the pan, stir the onions gently and immediately cover the pan for some time in medium to low flame.
Don’t forget to stir in intervals. After sometimes you will see onions becomes translucent quickly.
5. Now saute the onions till translucent then add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, and saute them for some time.
6. Next add 2 medium size chopped tomatoes.
7. Saute this tomato-onion mixture for at least 8 to 10 min on medium to low until the raw smell of tomatoes disappears.
8. Furthermore add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste.
9. Now cook this mixture for another 4 to 5 min until the mixture gets thickened and the raw smell of the spices goes away completely.
10. Now pour cooked chana dal along with the stock.
11. Also pour 125 ml water if required also sprinkle some salt and check the taste. If required add more.
12. Now gently stir everything then cover and cook the dal for at least 10 min until the dal gets slightly thickened.
13. Check whether dal is cooked properly or not then add 1/2 tablespoon kasuri methi then mix it properly.
14. Also sprinkle 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves, and mix with dal.
Tempering for chana dal tadka
1. Now for giving tempering for the chana dal tadka recipe heat 3 tbsp oil or ghee in a pan.
2. Then add 1/2 tablespoon of chopped ginger, garlic in it, 3 to 4 dried red chilli, and 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder.
3. Cook them for some time then add in dal.
4. Finally cover the lid for some time, until the aroma is completely mixed with chana dal tadka.
Chana Dal Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of chana dal recipe including quick step by step preparation of chana dal fry recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.