Dahi puri recipe is one of the delicious sweet chaat recipes in India where crispy puri is stuffed with potatoes, onions, curd, chutneys, and garnish with a few Indian spices, sev, and coriander leaves. This dahi puri recipe is popularly known as dahi batata puri recipe in Mumbai. In this post, you will learn how to make dahi puri .
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Though there are various recipe of dahi puri chaat available by just varying some ingredients, this is a very easy dahi puri recipe, this homemade sev batata puri will give strong competition to any street food.
Only if you properly use all of the ingredients as mentioned below and serve them immediately after preparing dahi batata puri.
What is dahi puri
Dahi Puri is popularly known as Dahi Batata Puri or Dahi sev puri in Mumbai where dahi means curd or yogurt , batata means aloo or potato, and puri which are rounded crispy snacks usually made for Pani Puri,
It is then assembled with, sweet curd, chopped onions, chaat chutneys and garnish with chopped coriander leaves,sev, and a few Indian spices.
What to serve with dahi batata puri
Serve this sweet and sour dahi batata puri chaat immediately after topping with curd, chutney, spices, and sev, otherwise, it will become soggy quickly and lose its flavour.
Dahi puri vs pani puri
Mumbai’s pani puri and dahi puri are both well-known chaat recipes. However, each is produced differently and has a distinct flavor and texture.
- In pani puri, boiling potatoes are stuffed with ragda, or moong bean sprouts, and served with a sweet and sour chutney. Pani puri doesn’t contain any curd.
- Dahi puri, on the other hand, has a crispy shell which is filled with curd, chutney, boiled potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and sev. In a dahi puri, no spicy water is added.
⇒ Must Check Recipes :
- Aloo chaat
- Aloo tikki
- Bhel puri
- Dahi vada
- Chicken 65
- Chicken pakora
- French fry
- Veggie burger
- Chicken burger
- Veg sandwich
- Veg momos
More Recipes You May Love
Tips to make dahi puri recipe
- Crispy Puri : To make crispy rounded puri knead the dough properly as mentioned and fry it in medium-high flame, additionally splash hot oil on puri which helps them to grow a big rounded shape.
- Use of Chutneys : To get the best result just like street style dahi puri chaat you must use 3 delicious dahi puri chutney including hot and spicy red chutney, sweet and sour tamarind chutney, and green chutney to enhance the flavour.
- Secret Flavor : To get the best flavour from your dahi batata puri you must use roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder, and red chili powder.
- Choice Of Curd : For this dahi puri recipe you have to use sweet yogurt just beat it by adding a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar before using it.
How to make dahi puri
Here, the complete dahi puri preparation is classified into four simple categories first one is preparation for dahi puri recipe,
the second one is making sweet tamarind chutney, the third one is making spicy red chutney , the fourth one is making spicy green chutney and the last one is assembling dahi batata puri.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation for dahi puri recipe
1. At first, for making dahi puri recipe, boil 3 to 4 medium size potatoes, cool, and peel them.
2. Now chopped them into small pieces also chopped 2 medium-size onions into small pieces.
Sweet tamarind chutney for dahi puri
1. Now for preparing sweet tamarind chutney for dahi puri add 60 grams of tamarind in a bowl add some warm water and gently squeeze each tamarind skin and de-seeded them.
2. Then sieve this mixture and pour in a pan along with 100 ml water,100 grams jaggery, and salt to taste.
3. Also sprinkle 1 tsp red chili powder,1 tsp coriander powder,1 tsp cumin powder in it and let it simmer for 3 to 4 min until it becomes slightly thick.
4. Finally check the taste of tamarind chutney if required add more jaggery and simmer for some time, then transfer this sweet chutney for dahi puri in a small bowl for future use.
Spicy red chutney for dahi puri
1. Before preparing red chutney for dahi puri soaked 8 to 10 dried red chili in warm water.
2. Next, add the red chili to a blender, along with 4 to 5 garlic, and 1 tbsp sugar.
3. Also sprinkle,1/2 tsp black salt,1/2 tsp white salt and add 50 ml water then blend them together.
4. Finally set aside this spicy red chutney for dahi puri for future usage.
Green chutney for dahi puri
1. Now, for making green chutney for dahi puri recipe, in a blender add 50 grams pudina leaves, 200 grams fresh coriander leaves,3 chopped green chili, and 3 to 4 tbsp chopped onions if want to use.
2. Then, add 1 tbsp of chopped ginger-garlic,1/2 tsp amchur powder,1 tsp of cumin powder, a pinch of salt, and a dash of water to blend everything together.
3. Next set aside this green chutney for later usage.
Making crispy puri
1. Now for making crispy puri for street style dahi puri, pour 300 to 350 grams maida or all-purpose flour 100 grams suji,1 tsp black gram, and 1 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Also sprinkle 1 tsp baking soda.
3. Next do a quick mix of everything then add water in intervals and knead the dough until you get a non-sticky soft dough.
4. At this stage rest the dough for 30 min.
5. After that use a rolling pin make a round shape just like chapati and cut the dough into a circular shape using a round cutter.
6. Make sure puri should be this thickness, here is the look of puri size.
7. Now heat oil in Kadai and fry this puri one by one in medium-high flame until it becomes crispy and golden brown from both sides.
Assembling dahi batata puri
1. Now for assembling dahi batata puri immediately make a hole on top of these puris and place them on a serving plate pour chopped potatoes, and 1 tbsp spicy green chutney in it.
2. Also add 1 tbsp sweet tamarind chutney, 1 tbsp spicy red chutney, 2 tbsp chopped onions in it.
3. Furthermore add 1 tsp chaat masala powder, 1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp red chili powder.
4. Now add sweet curd or dahi to it.
5. Finally our dahi puri recipe is completed you can garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and sev from the top and serve it immediately as your evening snack.
Dahi Puri Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of dahi puri recipe including quick step by step preparation of dahi batata puri recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.