Potato curry recipe is one of the fastest aloo ki sabji where potatoes are cooked in tomato onion base, with aromatic spices and fresh herbs. This is a simple but very easy potato curry that doesn’t take much effort when you are in hurry to prepare a vegetarian curry dish for your family. If you want to try this aloo curry recipe for your busy schedule then follow below step-by-step instructions on how to make the potato curry Are you tired to cook a heavy meals for your family? then don’t worry just give a try this aromatic potato curry which not only tastes very good but is also very easy to cook at home.
Though in India you can see different variations of potato curry either it is cooked with various veggies, eggs or only with potatoes.
In spite of all the variations of aloo curry, this is a very simple potato curry recipe which almost goes well in every dish.
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step-by-step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is potato curry
Potato curry recipe is a tasty Indian curry dish where ” Potato ” means ” Aloo “, similarly “ Curry ” means ” indian gravy “.
That means potatoes cooked in aromatic tomato onion gravy.
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
- Veg kurma
- Aloo matar
Side dish of aloo curry
Tips to make potato curry recipe
- Potatoes: This aloo curry recipe can be made from any type of potatoes including Yukon gold (yellow potatoes ), red-skinned potatoes, baby potatoes, and russet potatoes.If you have very old potatoes just precook them till al-dente.
- Choice of tomatoes: Always try to choose fresh large size red ripe ones, chop and de-seed them before using. If you don’t access the fresh ones you can use canned tomatoes.
- Spices: Right amount of spices play a critical role in your potato curry recipe try to use the right amount of spices mentioned in the recipe, overdoing it may alter the flavour.
- Aromatic flavour: Don’t forget to use bay leaf, garam masala powder, kasuri methi and a handful of coriander leaves at the end of making potato curry.
You May Like
How to make potato curry
Here, the complete recipe of potato curry preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is preparing masala paste for aloo curry,
second one is cooking potato curry.
so, let’s make it now.
Masala paste for aloo curry
1. At first, for making tasty masala paste for the aloo curry recipe heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and spread it evenly.
2. Now sprinkle 1 teaspoon cumin seed, 4 cloves and 1 bay leaf.
3. Next saute them in medium flame till they began to splutter.
4. After that add 2 large size chopped onions in a pan then saute the onions in medium to low flame till slightly golden brown and translucent it takes approximately 5 to 6 min in medium flame.
5. Next add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and 2 to 3 chopped green chillies saute them for 1 min till the raw smell disappears.
6. Now make a puree of 2 large tomatoes or you can use chopped tomatoes and add it now then cover and cook the tomatoes properly for 8 to 10 min till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away completely and becomes soft and mushy.
7. At this stage sprinkle 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder and a pinch of salt.
8. If you are worried masalas may burn you can add a dash of water and cook this aromatic masala paste for a further 5 to 6 min on medium to low flame until the mixture gets thickened becomes smooth and oil starts releasing from the gravy.
Cooking potato curry recipe
1. Now for making this tasty but super easy potato curry recipe cut 4 medium size potatoes into quarter shapes or you can use 8 baby potatoes and add them to that mixture.
2. Sprinkle some salt in it and saute the potatoes in this mixture for another 4 to 5 min in medium flame.
3. Next pour 500 ml water into it, and mix the potatoes properly.
4. Make the flame medium, cover the lid and cook the potatoes till they become soft.
5. Finally our potato curry recipe is completed check the taste of salt, if required add more. Also, sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of kasuri methi or dry fenugreek and mix it properly.
6. Also sprinkle 3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
7. Just close the lid for at least 10 min so that our Indian aloo curry recipe can absorb more flavour before serving it hot.
Aloo curry recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of potato curry including quick step-by-step preparation of the aloo curry recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.