Potato curry is one of the fastest indian curry recipe where potatoes cooked in tomato onion base, aromatic spices and fresh herbs. This is a simple but very easy potato curry recipe don’t take much effort when you are in hurry to prepare vegetarian curry dish for your family.If you want to try this aloo curry recipe for your busy schedule follow below step by step instructions on how to make potato curry recipe?Are you tired to cook heavy meal for your family? then don’t worry just give a try of this aromatic potato curry recipe which not only tastes very good but also very easy to cook at home.
Though in india you can see different variation of potato curry either it is cooked with various veggies , eggs or only with potatoes.
In spite of all the variation of aloo curry this is very simple potato curry recipe which almost goes well in every dish.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is potato curry?
Potato curry recipe is a tasty indian curry dish where ” Potato ” means ” Aloo “, similarly “ Curry ” means ” indian gravy ” .
That means potatoes cooked in aromatic tomato onion gravy.
Though you can cook two most popular aloo mutter recipes first one is gravy version known as aloo matar gravy and second one is a dry version of aloo matar recipe known as all aloo matar sabji.
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
What to serve with aloo curry recipe?
Serve this potato curry hot with Indian breads like roti, paratha, poori it also goes well with steamed white rice like basmati rice , jeera rice.
Tips to make best potato curry recipe
- Potatoes : This aloo curry recipe can be made from any type of potatoes including yukon gold (yellow potatoes ) , red skinned potatoes, baby potatoes, and russet potatoes.If you have very old potatoes just precook them till al-dente.
- Choice of tomatoes : Always try to choose fresh large size red ripe one, chop and de seed them before using.If you don’t access fresh one you can use canned tomatoes.
- Spices : Right amount of spices plays critical role in your potato curry recipe try to use right amount of spices which mentioned in the recipe, overdoing it may alter the flavor.
- Aromatic flavor : Don’t forget to use bay leaf , garam masala powder , kasuri methi and a handful of coriander leaves at the end of making potato curry.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make potato curry?
Here, the complete recipe of potato curry preparation classified into three simple categories first one is preparing masala paste for aloo curry recipe,
second one is cooking potato curry recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Masala paste for aloo curry recipe
1. At first,for making tasty masala paste for aloo curry recipe heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan and spread it evenly.
2. Now sprinkle 1 teaspoon cumin seed , 4 clove and 1 bay leaf.
3. Next saute them in medium flame till they began splutter.
4. After that add 2 large size chopped onions in pan then saute the onions in medium to low flame till slightly golden brown and translucent it takes approximately 5 to 6 min in medium flame.
5. Next add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and 2 to 3 chopped green chilies saute them for 1 min till the raw smell disappear.
6. Now make puree of 2 large tomatoes or you can use chopped tomatoes and add it now then cover and cook the tomatoes properly for 8 to 10 min till raw smell of tomatoes goes way completely and becomes soft and mushy.
7. At this stage sprinkle 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder , 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder , 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder , 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder and pinch of salt.
8. If you are worry masalas may burn you can add dash of water and cook this aromatic masala paste for further 5 to 6 min in medium to low flame until mixture gets thicken becomes smooth and oil starts releasing from gravy.
Cooking potato curry recipe
1. Now for making this tasty but super easy potato curry recipe cut 4 medium size potatoes into quarter shape or you can use 8 baby potatoes and add in that mixture.
2. Sprinkle some salt in it and saute this potatoes in this mixture for another 4 to 5 min in medium flame.
3. Next pour 500 ml water in it , mix the potatoes properly.
4. Make the flame medium, cover the lid and cook the potatoes till they become soft.
5. Finally our potato curry recipe is completed check the taste of salt, if required add more.Also sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of kasuri methi or dry fenugreek mix it properly.
6. Also sprinkle 3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
7. Just close the lid for at least 10 min so that our indian potato curry can absorbs more flavor before serving hot.
Aloo curry recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of potato curry including quick step by step preparation of aloo curry recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.