Aloo matar is one of the popular north indian vegetarian curry dish where potatoes and green peas are cooked in an aromatic spicy tomato onion base. This aloo matar recipe is very simple yet very delicious don’t take much effort. If you are in hurry to prepare vegetarian curry dish for your family, try this aloo mutter recipe for your busy schedule. Follow the below step by step instructions on how to make aloo matar curry?
Though there are various ways to cook aloo matar recipe either giving some add like paneer and various veggies or just preparing a simple one for our regular requirements.
This is a simple but very delicious aloo mutter recipe which you can make easily at home without giving much effort.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is aloo matar recipe
Aloo matar recipe is a tasty Indian vegetarian curry dish where ” Aloo ” is a Hindi word it means “ Potato “, similarly “ Matar ” means ” Green peas “.
That means Green peas and potatoes cooked in an aromatic tomato onion mixture.
Though you can cook the two most popular aloo mutter recipes first one is the gravy version known as aloo matar gravy and the second one is a dry version of aloo matar curry known as all aloo matar sabji.
⇒ Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
- Jeera rice
- Lemon rice
- Tomato rice
- Ghee rice
What to serve with aloo mutter recipe
Serve this aloo mutter recipe with some plain rice or jeera rice even rotis, paratha goes well.
Tips to make aloo matar curry
- Add on : In authentic aloo mutter recipe we don’t use any add just to make the dish simple and tasty, but if you want to add on you can add paneer, carrots, cauliflower, capsicum etc.
- Choice of tomatoes : Use only red, rips, large size tomatoes for your aloo mutter, never use any tangy tomatoes because it makes the gravy sour.
- Spices : To enhances flavour in your aloo matar curry don’t forget to use kasuri methi and a handful of coriander leaves at the end of making the dish.
- Cream or Cashew paste : Though it is not essential to add cashew paste or cream to your dish if you want you can pour finely grind cashew paste or 2 tablespoons of cream when aloo matar curry is ready.
You May Like
Aloo matar recipe video
If you want to watch aloo matar video recipe watch it here. Otherwise, read the below step by step instructions.
How to make aloo matar
Here, the complete recipe of aloo matar preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is masala paste for aloo matar recipe,
second one is making aloo matar gravy.
so, let’s make it now.
Masala paste for aloo matar recipe
1. For making aromatic masala paste for aloo matar recipe heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and spread it evenly.
2. Now sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cumin seed and 1 bay leaf, and saute them for 1 minute.
3. After that add 1 large size chopped onion and saute the onions in medium to low flame till slightly golden brown, it takes approximately 5 to 6 min in medium flame.
4. Next add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and 2 to 3 chopped green chilies saute them for 1 min till the raw smell disappears.
5. Now pour tomato puree into the pan.
6. After that cook the tomato puree properly for 7 to 8 min till raw smell of tomatoes goes away completely.
7. At this stage sprinkle 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder and salt to taste.
8. Now you can add a dash of water and cook this aromatic tomato onion mixture for a further 4 to 5 min on medium to low flame until the mixture gets thickened and the oil separates from the gravy.
Making aloo matar gravy
1. Now for making aloo matar gravy add quarter-cut potatoes.
2. Next saute this aloo mutter mixture for another 5 to 6 min until it cooked properly.
3. After that pour 300 ml water.
4. Also add 200 gram green peas either fresh or frozen.
5. Sprinkle more salt and check the taste, then cover the pan with a lid and cook this aloo matar curry for some time until aloo are soft.
6. For additional flavour don’t forget to sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon kasuri methi and 3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves.
7. Finally our delicious aloo mutter recipe is completed. Serve it hot immediately.
Aloo matar recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of aloo matar recipe including quick step by step preparation of aloo matar curry recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.