Punjabi chole recipe – boiled chana dal or chickpeas cooked in spicy tomato onion gravy, flavoured with a lot of indian spices, is one of the popular north indian curry dish. This authentic punjabi chole masala is also known as amritsari chole. In this post, you will learn how to make punjabi chole?
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
If you want to cook a delicious vegetarian curry dish for dinner, then must try this recipe.
This is a very simple chole masala recipe that can be made easily at home by using only a few ingredients. For the best result follow the below step by step instructions.
Table of Contents
What is punjabi chole masala
” Chole ” or ” Chana ” popular known as ” Chickpeas ” and ” Masala ” means ” spicy tomato-onion mixture “; where soaked chole is first boiled in a pressure cooker with tea leaves, a pinch of baking soda and a lot of whole spices, then slowly simmered in spicy tomato-onion mixture flavoured with more Indian spices.
What to serve with chole recipe
You can serve chole bhature as a combo dish, otherwise, you can serve chole with pori, naan, and butter roti.
⇒ You can also check the below recipes :
- Chana Masala
- Dum Aloo
- Shahi Paneer
- Dal Makhani
- Rajma Masala
- Veg Manchurian
- Palak Paneer
- Veg Kurma
- Kadai paneer
- Chilli Paneer
- Malai Kofta
- Aloo Gobi
Tips to make authentic punjabi chole recipe
- Black Chole : In the authentic punjabi chole recipe, to get perfect black chole they use dried amla while boiling in a pressure cooker, if you don’t have you can simply follow this recipe by using tea leaves.
- Soaking Chole : To cook chole quickly soak the chole in sufficient water for at least 12 to 15 hours, this lighter texture chana is not only easy to cook but also very easy to digest.
- Cooking Method : Cook the chole in a pressure cooker by sprinkling a pinch of baking soda and salt in it till it becomes soft, then cook the spicy tomato onion mixture for at least 12 to 15 min to remove tanginess from it before simmering with chana
- Secret Flavour : In this amritsari chole recipe the main ingredient for enhancing the flavour of this recipe is “chole masala powder“; make sure you use it either homemade or from a popular brand available on the market.
You May Like
How to make punjabi chole
Here, the complete recipe of punjabi chole preparation is classified into three simple categories first one is preparation for kaale chole recipe,
the second one is cooking chole masala and the last one is making punjabi chole recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation for kaale chole recipe
1. At first, for preparing the black chole recipe, soak 250 grams of chole or Kabuli chana or chickpeas for at least 12 to 15 hrs in a sufficient water
2. Now, to get the exact black colour just like amritsari chole, in a cotton cloth add 1 small bay leaf,3 green cardamom,3 clove, 1-inch cinnamon, and 1 1/2 tbsp tea leaves.
3. Then, give a knot just like this.
4. After that, in a pressure cooker pour soaked chole, and add 1 tsp salt in it.
5. Additionally add 1/2 tsp baking soda in it.
6. Finally, keep the masala cloth in a pressure cooker, cover the lid and cook chole up to 5 to 6 whistles on medium flame.
Note : At this stage, check whether chana dal becomes soft while pressing in between fingers or not, it should not have a bite while eating, if not give another 2 to 3 whistles.
Cooking chole masala
1. At first for cooking chole masala recipe heat 3 to 4 tbsp oil in a pan, and spread it evenly.
2. Now add some whole spices including 2 tsp cumin seed,1 small bay leaf,4 cloves,4 green cardamoms, and 1-inch cinnamon, and saute them for up to 1 min in medium flame until you get a beautiful aroma.
3. Then add 3 medium size finely chopped onions,1 tbsp ginger garlic paste,
4. Saute them until the onion becomes translucent and slightly golden brown
5. Next pour,4 medium size tomato purees, additionally sprinkle 1 tsp salt.
6. Now mix all of them together and cook for a further 8 to 10 min on medium flame.
7. After that, add 3 sliced green chillies, and mix them with the rest of the masala.
8. Finally sprinkle 1 tsp red chili powder,2 tsp chole masala powder,1 tsp garam masala powder,1 tsp coriander powder, and 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, mix all the spices together, and cook this mixture for another 5 to 6 min,
9. Furthermore, cut 4 to 5 ginger vertically sliced add them to this gravy, and mix all of them together.
Making punjabi chole recipe
1. Now for cooking punjabi chole recipe, pour boil chole which we cooked previously,
2. Then pour water and mix all of the ingredients together.
3. Finally cover the pan and simmer this chole masala gravy on low flame for 15 to 18 min, until the gravy becomes thick.
Note: At this stage, check the taste of salt, if required add now, then garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot as a chole bhature, poori, roti, naan whatever you like.
Punjabi Chole Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the chole recipe ingredients including quick step by step preparation of punjabi chole recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.