Dum aloo recipe – baby potatoes dum cooked in hot and spicy onion-tomato and yoghurt gravy is one of the delicious punjabi dum aloo recipe in India. This restaurant style dum aloo recipe is not only very delicious but also super easy to make at home.In this post, you will learn how to make dum aloo recipe? Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Due to the diversification of Indian culture, there is the various recipe of dum aloo available like Punjabi dum aloo, Kashmiri dum aloo, Bengali dum aloo,restaurant style dum aloo,Dhaba style dum aloo.
But if you are short in time and cook something yummy vegetarian dish then you can try this easy dum aloo recipe at home using only a few ingredients.
Table of Contents
What is dum aloo?
Tradiotanlly the recipe of dum aloo is made of baby potatoes which are first parboiled and fried then slowly cooked or dum in onion-tomato and yoghurt gravy, flavoured with a few Indian spices.
What to serve with punjabi dum aloo gravy?
Serve hot this mouthwatering dum aloo gravy with naan, pulao, jeera rice.
What is the difference between Punjabi dum aloo and Kashmiri dum aloo recipe?
The main difference between them is in the authentic Kashmiri dum aloo recipe they don’t use garlic paste, onion tomato gravy, or any cream just like Punjabi dum aloo recipe,
instead, they cook baby potatoes in a mixture of Kashmiri red chili powder, fennel powder, ginger powder, and curd that ultimately give hot and spicy flavour in dum aloo.
Tips To Make Restaurant Style Dum Aloo Recipe
- Choice of Potato: To make delicious restaurant style dum aloo recipe must use baby potatoes because it helps to cook quickly otherwise you can use medium size potatoes cut them into a quarter shape.
- Cooking Method: This recipe is a slow cooking process, where baby potatoes first fried in oil then “dum cook” in spicy tomato-onion-curd gravy.
- Secret Flavour: You have to use good quality fennel seed powder, coriander powder,garam masala powder from any popular brand, Kasuri methi, and fresh coriander leaves is the key spices that give a beautiful aroma in dum aloo.
- Richness Of Gravy: In restaurant style dum aloo to make the rich creamy gravy a few tablespoons of cream is used, otherwise you can use cashew paste and sweet curd.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make dum aloo?
Here, the complete punjabi dum aloo preparation classified into three simple categories first one is preparation for dum aloo,
the second one is making dum aloo masala, and the last one is making dum aloo recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation For Dum Aloo
1.At first, for making dum aloo recipe parboil 10 to12 baby potatoes in a pressure cooker for up to 3 to 4 whistles then cool and peel them.
2.Now using a fork I gently prick all over the aloo, don’t press too much then aloo will easily break into pieces.
3. Next keep the potatoes in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle 2 tsp red chili powder,2 tsp salt,1 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder on potatoes.
4.Gently mix all of the potatoes with spices.
5. Now for frying aloo heat 5 to 6 tbsp oil in a pan.
6.Then add potatoes one by one and shallow fry them in medium to low flame up to 3 to 4 min until it becomes crispy and completely golden brown.
Note: In the Punjabi dum aloo recipe baby potatoes often deep-fried in a lot of oil, if you like that you can go ahead with that method otherwise follows the above recipe.
7.Finally transferred this fried aloo in kitchen tissue to drain excess oil from it.
Making Dum Aloo Masala
1. Now for making dum aloo masala heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan.
2. Then add 150 grams chopped onions and saute at least 3 to 4 min in medium flame until it becomes translucent.
3. Next add 2 medium sizes deseeded chopped tomatoes, saute them together further 3 min in medium flame.
4.Furthermore add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic-chili paste and saute sometime until the raw smell completely disappears.
5. At this stage tomatoes become mushy now add 10 to 15 cashew nuts and mix all of them together.
6.After that transferring this mixture to a blender, add a dash of water to it.
7.Now blend all of them together to make a smooth tomato-onion puree.
Making Dum Aloo Recipe
1. At first heat oil, in a pan, add some whole spices including 1 bay leaf, 2 to 3 green cardamom,2 to 3 clove,1 tsp cumin seed,2 to 3 chopped green chili,sauté all of them together for 1 to 2 min in medium to a low flame.
2.Now, pour tomato-onion puree and sauté at least 3 to 4 min in medium to low flame.
3.At this stage sprinkle 1 tsp salt,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chili powder,1 tsp garam masala powder,1/4 tsp fennel seed powder,1 tsp coriander powder cook further 7 to 8 min until gravy thickens and leave sides of the pan.
4.After that, add 60 grams of yogurt and sauté continuously up to 2 to 3 min until it properly mixes with dum aloo masala otherwise curd starts curdling while simmering.
5.Furthermore pour water mix all of the masalas together after that add fried potatoes, gently mix all of them together.
6.Now, cover the pan with a lid and give a dum cook for 10 to 12 min in low flame.
7.Finally check the taste of salt if needed add it now, also add 1 tsp Kasuri methi 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves, serve hot this delicious dum aloo recipe with naan, pulao, jeera rice.
Dum Aloo Recipe Card
Here is the quick overview of all the punjabi dum aloo ingredients including quick step by step preparation of dum aloo curry shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.