Curd rice recipe is a popular south indian recipe where precooked rice mix with curd , veggies and aromatic tempering.Curd rice also known as thayir sadam or bagala bath or dahi chawal.To cook best curd rice at home follow below step by step instructions on how to make curd rice?
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
What is curd rice?
Curd rice or thayir sadam or bagla bath or dahi chawal whatever you say is a famous south Indian curd rice recipe, where soft cooked rice mix with curd or indian yogurt, salt, tempering of spices, herbs and roasted cashew which makes curd rice more flavorful and tasty.
What are the benefits of curd rice?
There are lot of benefits of curd rice if you eat it during your meal.
- As curd has a good amount of proteins, calcium , minerals so it can easily full fil some portion of our daily nutrition requirement.
- In curd presents friendly probiotic bacteria which help in the digestion.
- We usually eat curd rice during summer seasons to prevent sunstroke and summer heat because curd act as a natural coolant and brings down our body temperature.
Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
What to eat with curd rice?
Serve curd rice immediately with roasted cashew , freshly chopped coriander leaves or pomegranate arils and grated cucumber, carrots.
You can also serve with a south Indian mango pickle , papad.
Tips to make curd rice recipe
- Choice of Curd : Curd or yogurt is one of the main binding ingredients in this curd rice recipe so try to choose fresh curd or dahi or homemade curd.
- Choice of Rice : Always use fresh and soft cooked rice for thayir sadam recipe.Make sure you saoak the rice in water for sometimes before cooking.
- Tempering : To enhances flavor in curd rice recipe do tempering with urad dal , chana dal , mustard seeds, cashew nut , dried red chili, hing and fresh curry leaves.
- Mixing Method : Never mix cold curd with hot rice because it separates whey from curd.It will be best if you cool the soft cook rice at room temperature before mixing curd.
- Later Consumption : If you want to eat thayir sadam later then mash the cooked rice properly when it is hot then pour milk gradually until it absorbs all milk.Next pour curd as per need and mix.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make curd rice?
Here, the complete recipe of curd rice preparation classified into three simple categories first one is cooking rice for thayir sadam,
second one is tempering for dahi chawal , third one is making curd rice recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Cooking rice for thayir sadam
1. At first cooking rice for thayir sadam soak 150 grams white rice in sufficient water for 30 min.
2. Now pour 400 ml water along with pinch of salt and 2 teaspoon oil in a kadai.
3. When water starts boiling add soaked rice, cover the lid and cook rice in medium flame for 10 min till rice are soft.
Note : If you are using pressure cooker then pressure cook at least 6 whistle or 10 min till rice is soft and cooked very well.
4. At this stage rice becomes completely soft and well cooked. If you want to mash the rice do it now.Now wait for sometimes to allow cooked rice at room temperature.
Tempering for dahi chawal
1. Now tempering for dahi chawal heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan.
2. When oil becomes hot add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds , 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal , saute them till dal becomes slightly golden.
3. Now add 2 dried red chili , 10 cashew , 3 vertically sliced green chili and 10 to 12 fresh curry leaves.
4. Next saute everything for another 2 min in medium to low flame till cashews become slightly golden and curry leaves become crisp.
5. After that add pinch of hing, mix everything and switch off the flame.
Making curd rice
1. Now for making curd rice recipe transfer the soft cooked rice in bowl and add 400 grams curd in it.
2. Next with a spoon mix curd properly with rice.
3. After that add grated cucumber and tempering in curd rice mixture.Again mix curd rice well.
4. Now serve curd rice immediately by garnish with fresh coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds along with papad and pickle.
Curd rice recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of curd rice including quick step by step preparation of curd rice recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.