Dal makhani recipe-whole urad dal, rajma slowly cooked in spicy buttery gravy is one of the popular lentil recipes across india.In this post, you will learn how to make dal makhani recipe restaurant style at home?Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
This authentic punjabi dal makhani recipe is not only taste delicious but also very easy to cook at home if you follow proper step by step instruction mentioned below.
More Recipes You May Love
⇒ Dum Aloo
What is dal makhani?
Dal makhani is a creamy rich dal dish made of black urad dal and rajma or kidney beans which is first boiled in a pressure cooker then slowly cooked in buttery tomato-onion gravy, flavored with a few Indian spices and garnish with cream.
What to serve with dal makhani recipe?
Serve hot this Punjabi dal makhani with naan, roti paratha even with rice by garnishing more cream and butter on top of it.
How to store dal makhani?
You can safely store this dal makhani in the refrigerator for approximately 2 to 3 days. But before using it you can reheat by adding a dash of water to it.
Garnish with a tablespoon of cream and butter before serving on a plate.
Tips To Make Best Restaurant Style Dal Makhani
- Choice of Dal: To prepare this dal makhani use whole urad dal or black lentils and rajma or kidney beans. Make sure you soak them in sufficient water for at least 12 to 18 hours.
- Choice Of Tomato: As tomato is one of the main ingredients of dal makhani, to avoid any tangy flavor, choose a large, red, ripe one before making puree at home. If the fresh tomato is not available you can use canned tomato puree.
- Cooking Method: For creamy rich thicker dal makhani you have to slowly cook dal on low flame for approximately 30 to 40 min.
- Smoky Flavour: To get the smoky flavor in our homemade dal makhani recipe we simply follow the dhunagar method, just put red hot charcoal in a bowl, keep it on top of dal makhani, then pour ghee on it, while it generates smoke, cover the pan immediately.
- Richness Of Gravy: For restaurant style dal makhani recipe must use good quality butter and cream which not only enhances the flavor of this dish but also increases the richness of gravy.
Recipe of dal makhani step by step with photo?
Here, the complete preparation of restaurant style dal makhani recipe classified into three simple categories first one is preparing dal,
and the last one is making dal makhani recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
1.At first, for cooking punjabi dal makhani recipe wash 150 grams whole urad dal or black lentils and 60 grams rajma or kidney beans in a sufficient water.
2.Then soaked them in water for at least 12 to 18 hours or you can do them overnight, until they absorb water and become larger.
3. When dal soaked water then transfer them to pressure cooker additionally add 500 to 700 ml water,1 tsp salt, cover, and cook this dal in medium to high flame for 8 to 10 whistle.
4.Check whether all the dal is mashy or not, if not give another 1 or 2 whistles.
Making Dal Makhani Recipe
1. Now for making restaurant style dal makhani recipe add 4 tbsp butter in a large kadai melt it in low flame.
2. Then add 1/2 tsp cumin seed,2 to 3 cloves,2 to 3 green cardamom,1 black cardamom, 1-inch cinnamon in low flame 2 tsp ginger garlic paste,2 chopped green chili saute them together for 2 min in low flame.
3. Next add 2 medium sizes onion puree saute until it becomes slightly golden brown, then add 250 grams tomato puree.
4.Furthermore sprinkle 1 tsp salt,
5. Also add 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder.
6. Now mix all of them together and cook 10 to 12 min in medium to low flame until tomato onion gravy becomes thick and leaving the side of the pan.
7.Furthermore add boiled dal along with 300 ml of water.
8.Next sprinkle a pinch of salt,1 tsp garam masala powder mix all of them together, let the dal simmer for 30 to 35 min, make sure stir occasionally otherwise it may burn from bottom.
Note: If required add more water to simmer the dal in low flame, make sure you stir occasionally the dal every 3 to 4 min otherwise it may burn from the bottom of the pan.
9. At this stage dal makhani becomes thicker you can check whether all of the dal cooked properly or not then add 3 tbsp more butter and mix them together for another 3 to 4 min.
10.Now sprinkle 1 tsp Kasuri methi or dry fenu greek.
11. Just like restaurant style dal makhani you can add 60 ml cream, quickly mix it with the rest of the dal, and let it simmer for another 3 to 4 min on low flame.
12. Now for smoky flavor we simply follow dhunagar method, for this place red hot charcoal in a small pot then pour ghee or oil on it and keep it on dal makhani.
13. When it generates smoke cover the pan immediately with a lid for 4 to 5 min. After that garnish with cream and butter and serve hot this delicious punjabi dal makhani with naan roti, paratha.
Dal Makhani Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the restaurant style dal makhani ingredients including quick step by step preparation of punjabi dal makhani recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.