Dal makhani recipe is one of the popular lentil recipes across India where whole urad dal, rajma are slowly cooked in spicy buttery gravy. The smoky flavour and creamy texture of this restaurant style dal makhani will be your best dinner menu. In this post, you will learn how to make dal makhani?
This authentic punjabi dal makhani recipe is not only taste delicious but also very easy to cook at home if you follow the proper step-by-step instruction mentioned below.
If you love punjabi recipes then this dal makhani is the best dish you must try for your family.
Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is dal makhani
Dal makhani is a creamy rich dal dish made of black urad dal and rajma or kidney beans which is first boiled in a pressure cooker then slowly cooked in buttery tomato-onion gravy, flavoured with a few Indian spices and garnish with cream.
What to serve with the dal makhani recipe
How to store dal makhani
You can safely store this dal makhani in the refrigerator for approximately 2 to 3 days. But before using it you can reheat by adding a dash of water to it.
Garnish with a tablespoon of cream and butter before serving on a plate.
| You can also check below recipes
- Rajma masala
- Chana masala
- Punjabi chole
- Egg curry
- Shahi paneer
- Dum aloo
- Veg manchurian
- Gobi manchurian
- Punjabi kadhi pakora
- Dal fry
- Chana dal recipe
- Moong dal tadka
Tips to make restaurant style dal makhani recipe
- Choice of Dal: To prepare this dal makhani recipe we use whole urad dal or black lentils and rajma or kidney beans. Make sure you soak them in sufficient water for at least 12 to 18 hours.
- Choice Of Tomato: As tomato is one of the main ingredients of dal makhani, to avoid any tangy flavour, choose a large, red, ripe one before making puree at home. If the fresh tomato is not available you can use canned tomato puree.
- Cooking Method: For creamy rich thicker dal makhani you have to slowly cook dal on low flame for approximately 30 to 40 min.
- Smoky Flavour: To get the smoky flavour in our homemade dal makhani recipe we simply follow the dhunagar method, just put red hot charcoal in a bowl, keep it on top of dal makhani, then pour ghee on it, while it generates smoke, cover the pan immediately.
- Richness Of Gravy: For restaurant style dal makhani recipe must use good quality butter and cream which not only enhances the flavour of this dish but also increases the richness of gravy.
You May Like
How to make dal makhani
Here, the complete preparation of restaurant style dal makhani recipe is classified into three simple categories first one is preparing dal,
and the last one is making dal makhani recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
1. At first, for cooking punjabi dal makhani recipe wash 150 grams of whole urad dal or black lentils and 60 grams of rajma or kidney beans in sufficient water.
2. Then soaked them in water for at least 12 to 18 hours or you can do them overnight until they absorb water and become larger.
3. When dal soaked water then transfer them to a pressure cooker additionally add 500 to 700 ml water, and 1 tsp salt, cover, and cook this dal on medium to high flame for 8 to 10 whistles.
4. Check whether all the dal is mashy or not, if not give another 1 or 2 whistles.
Making dal makhani recipe
1. Now for making the restaurant style dal makhani recipe add 4 tbsp butter to a large kadai and melt it on low flame.
2. Then add 1/2 tsp cumin seed,2 to 3 cloves,2 to 3 green cardamom,1 black cardamom, 1-inch cinnamon in low flame 2 tsp ginger garlic paste, and 2 chopped green chili saute them together for 2 min in low flame.
3. Next add 2 medium sizes onion puree and saute until it becomes slightly golden brown, then add 250 grams of tomato puree.
4. Furthermore sprinkle 1 tsp salt,
5. Also add 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder.
6. Now mix all of them and cook 10 to 12 min on medium to low flame until tomato onion gravy becomes thick and leaves the side of the pan.
7. Furthermore add boiled dal along with 300 ml of water.
8. Next sprinkle a pinch of salt, and 1 tsp garam masala powder mix all of them, and let the dal simmer for 30 to 35 min, make sure to stir occasionally otherwise it may burn from the bottom.
Note : If required add more water to simmer the dal on low flame, make sure you stir occasionally the dal every 3 to 4 min otherwise it may burn from the bottom of the pan.
9. At this stage dal makhani becomes thicker you can check whether all of the dal is cooked properly or not then add 3 tbsp more butter and mix them for another 3 to 4 min.
10. Now sprinkle 1 tsp Kasuri methi or dry fenugreek.
11. Just like restaurant style dal makhani you can add 60 ml cream, quickly mix it with the rest of the dal, and let it simmer for another 3 to 4 min on low flame.
12. Now for smoky flavour we simply follow the dhunagar method, for this place red hot charcoal in a small pot then pour ghee or oil on it and keep it on dal makhani.
13. When it generates smoke cover the pan immediately with a lid for 4 to 5 min. After that garnish with cream and butter and serve hot this delicious restaurant style dal makhani with naan roti, and paratha.
Dal Makhani Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the restaurant style dal makhani ingredients including quick step by step preparation of restaurant style dal makhani recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.