Kadhi recipe is a very popular north indian recipe where crispy onion fritters are dunked in a spice, tangy yogurt base sauce. This punjabi kadhi pakora recipe is very simple yet very delicious vegetarian curry dish.To cook best punjabi kadhi recipe at home follow below step by step instructions on how to make kadhi pakora?
Do you want to cook punjabi dish at home? then give a try of this famous punjabi dish kadhi pakora, it tastes not only delicious but also very easy to cook at home.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is kadhi recipe?
Though there are a few variations of kadhi recipe available in indian cuisines like Gujrati kadhi , Rajasthani kadhi , Maharashtrian kadhi though the base ingredients are same but the main difference is using of a spices and thickness of kadhi.
What is kadhi pakora?
“ Kadhi ” is a hindi word it means aromatic yogurt sauce and “ pakora ” means fritters made from gram flour or besan. That means spicy crispy fritters made of onions, gram flour and some spices served with tasty yogurt sauce.
Among the other kadhi recipes this punjabi kadhi pakora recipe tastes very delicious, it is more creamier and thick than others.
⇒ Must Check Recipes
- Butter chicken
- Chicken curry ,
- Gobi manchurian
- Paneer paratha
- Garlic naaan
- Veg manchurian
- Malai kofta
- Chicken korma
What to serve with punjabi kadhi recipe?
You can serve it as a popular punjabi staple ” kadhi chawal ” where hot punjabi kadhi pakora serve with steamed rice or jeera rice.You can also serve the kadhi with roti
Tips to make best punjabi kadhi pakora recipe
- Choice of Curd : As in authentic punjabi kadhi recipe kadhi tastes a little bit sour so try to use full fat sour curd or yogurt either homemade or store bought.
- Type of Oil : In punjabi kadhi pakora recipe you can find a little pungent flavor, this comes from use of mustard oil, so i suggest you should use it to maintain the authenticity, otherwise you can use any neutral oil like sunflower oil but it lacks the flavor.
- Spices : To enhances flavor in this dish don’t forget to use fresh curry leaves, and required amount of spices mentioned in the recipe.
- Pakora texture : As i like a litlle bit crispy pakora in my punjabi kadhi , so i add only required amount of water to make batter smooth not runny and add only before serving kadhi, but if you like soft and mushy pakora add water quantity in batter.
- Cooking method : Try to cook kadhi first in medium to low flame for 20 min with string often then simmer further 10 min to get aroma in your dish.
- Prevent kadhi from splitting : To avoid kadhi splitting or separating at the time of cooking always use room temperature curd , whisk it properly before adding in kadai , and most important stir often kadhi till it starts boiling, it prevents from splitting.
- Must give tadka : Don’t forget to give tadka with ghee, a few whole spices and kashmiri red chili powder in your kadhi pakora recipe it really enhances flavor of your dish.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make kadhi pakora?
Here, the complete preparation of kadhi pakora recipe classified into three simple categories first one is preparation for kadhi,
second one is making pakora , thid one is cooking kadhi pakora and last one is giving tadka to punjabi kadhi.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparation for punjabi kadhi recipe
1. At first for preparing punjabi kadhi recipe in a large mixing bowl add 200 grams sour curd then whisk it properly such that no lumps forms on curd.
2. Now add 4 tablespoons gram flour or besan , 1 teaspoon red chili powder , 1 teaspoon garam masala powder , 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, Pinch of salt to prepare this kadhi recipe.
3. Then pour 400 ml water and stir thoroughly such that no lumps can build up in your slurry and you will get smooth mixture.
4. Next stir everything mix them properly and set aside this mixture for later usage.
Making pakora for kadhi recipe
1. Now to make pakora in a large mixing bowl add 2 large slice onions and 200 grams gram flour or besan.
2. Next add 1/2 teaspoon ajwan , 1 teaspoon red chili powder , 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder ,pinch of salt.
3. Now mix all of them together by hand or spoon.
4. Also add 60 ml water and helps the mixture thick.
5. After that rest this mixture for at least 30 min.
6. Furthermore pour oil in pan, when oil is medium hot.
7. Place one by one onion pakora in oil.
8. Fry the pakora completely on medium flame till they become glolden brown and crisp.
9. Finally remove the fried pakora from oil and place on kitchen tissue to remove excess oil from it.
Cooking punjabi kadhi pakora recipe
1. For cooking punjabi kadhi pakora recipe heat 4 tablespoons mustard oil in a pan just like original punjabi kadhi recipe.
2. Now add 1 teaspoon cumin seed , pinch of hing , 1 tablespoon chopped ginger garlic saute them in low flame till the cumin seed began splutter.
3. After that add 2 medium size chopped onions and saute them in medium flame til translucent.
4.Next add 2 finely chopped green chilli 10 to 12 fresh curry leaves.
5. Now add 2 dried red chili and saute them in this mixture for another 2 min in medium to low flame.
6. After that add curd slurry which we made earlier and mix everything properly.
7. Then make the flame medium low and boil this kadhi for about 20 min.Make sure you stir this kadhi in between this time otherwise kadhi become brown from bottom.
8. At this stage if kadhi becomes thick but if it is too thick then pour dash of water , cover the pan and simmer the kadhi for further 10 min.Now sprinkle 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, pinch of salt in this punjabi kadhi pakora recipe.
9. Don’t forget to sprinkle 3 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves.
Giving tadka to punjabi kadhi
1. Now in a tadka pan add 3 tablespoons ghee and 1 teaspoon cumin seed saute them till cumin seed began splutter.
2. Then add 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder for vibrant red color.
3. Finally our kadhi pakora recipe is completed now add our fried pakora in this kadhi,along with this tadka.
4. Mix them properly then close the lid for sometime till all aroma properly goes into the kadhi.
Kadhi pakora recipe card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of kadhi recipe including quick step by step preparation of kadhi pakora recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.