Sponge rasgulla recipe-made of soft chenna ball and cook in boiling sugar syrup till they are soft and spongy, are one of the popular sweet recipes in India that usually prepared during most of festive seasons and weddings. In Bengal this white rasgulla sweet popularly known as rosogolla.In this post, you will learn how to make bengali rasgulla recipe at home?Note: if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
Though there is a various recipe of rasgulla available in India including chhena rasgulla, suji ka rasgulla,rasgulla with the milk powder, etc, yet this bengali rasgulla sweet is soft, spongy and very easy rasgulla recipe that can be made easily at home by following proper instruction.
Who invented rasgulla?
The sponge white rasgulla was invented in 1868 by a famous sweet maker from West Bengal Nobin Chandra Das.
How rasgulla is made?
Rasgulla is made by curdling the full-fat milk then kneading the chenna or milk solid to make crack free white rasgulla ball which cooked in rolling boil sugar syrup until light and spongy.
Why rasgulla get flat?
Rasgulla gets flattened after cooking and cooling means chenna is dry which means moisture in chenna is very less, to fix this sprinkle 1 to 2 tsp water in it while kneading the chenna.
Why rasgulla turn yellow?
Rasgulla turns yellow because of two reasons either milk is not suitable to make white chenna for rasgulla or you use organic,unsulphured sugar instead of white refined sugar.
Why rasgulla becomes hard?
Rasgulla becomes hard and rubbery because of two reasons either you add more cornflour or maida and semolina than required while kneading, or mistakenly overcooked them in very high temperature.
Tips To Make Soft Sponge Rasgulla Recipe
- Type of milk: To make soft and sponge rasgulla always use fresh full-fat milk or whole milk. You can also use non-homogenized unpasteurized milk from milkman.
- Soft Chenna: To make soft, non-sticky, and smooth chenna for the rasgulla recipe you have to knead it thoroughly for at least 6 to 7 min until you achieve that stage.
- Cooking Temperature: For cooking soft and sponge rasgulla you have to maintain uniform heat, continuously boil the rasgulla ball in medium to high flame sugar syrup.
- Sugar Syrup Consistency: Here we don’t need any sticky consistency sugar syrup just follow simple water to sugar ratio i.e 3:1.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make rasgulla?
Here, the complete preparation of rasgulla recipe classified into three simple categories first one is chenna for bengali rosogulla,
the second one is making crack-free white rasgulla ball and the last one is making sponge rasgulla recipe
so, let’s make it now.
Chenna For Bengali Rasogulla
1. At first, making soft chenna for rasgulla, pour 1liter full-fat milk in a non-stick kadhai or deep bottom pan.
2. Let the milk comes to a boil in a medium to high flame.
3.When the milk starts boiling turn the flame low and sprinkle 4 to 5 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar in it.
4. Now, gently stir the milk until it starts to curdle.
Note: If milk unable to curdle then add more vinegar or lemon juice and continuously stir until it gets curdled.
5. When you saw white protein or chenna get completely separated from greenish water.
6. Then immediately turn off the flame and drain the chenna in a cloth over a colander.
7. Now, rinse the chenna thoroughly with the icy cold water which not only removes its acidic flavor but also makes the chenna soft.
8. Next, wrap the chenna in a cloth and gently squeeze it to remove excess water from it.
Note: Don’t squeeze the chenna completely and make it completely dry which makes your rasgulla hard and rubbery. The chenna should be soft, smooth and no dripping water from it.
9. Furthermore, hang the chenna in that cloth for 50 to 60 min.
Crack Free White Rasgulla Ball
1. At first, take out the chenna from cloth and keep it in a large plate or food plater for kneading.
2. Now, sprinkle 1 tsp cornflour powder or maida which helps to make the rasgulla proper shape.
3. Next, gently knead the chena thoroughly with the help of the palm.
4. At this stage, you get soft, non-sticky, and smooth chena. It takes almost 6 to 7 min.
5. Furthermore, pick a small portion of chena.
6. Gently rotate it round wise direction in between the palm and make crack-free rasgulla ball.
7. Have a look at this, if your pan is not very big don’t make very large rasgulla ball as it will become double in size when cooked.
8. Now set aside this white rasgulla ball for later usage.
Making Sponge Rasgulla Recipe
1. Now for making sugar syrup for the rasgulla recipe pour 1 litre of water in the pan.
2. Then add 350 grams of white sugar to it.
3. Next, stir gently and dissolve the sugar completely in medium to high flame.
4. After 3 to 4 min, sugar syrup starts boiling, make sure flame is medium-high.
5. Now add 3 to 4 green cardamom pods.
6. After 4 to 5 min when sugar syrup becomes a rolling boil.
7. Gently add sponge rasgulla ball in this boiling sugar syrup.
8. Now cover the lid and boil the rasgulla ball in medium to high flame for at least 10 to 12 min.
9. After 10 to 12 min this white rasgulla becomes double in size.
Note: Turn off the gas but don’t open the lid at this stage, wait for a further 5 to 6 min to reduce the temperature, it helps to avoid shrinking the rasgulla.
10. Cool this hot white rasgulla ball in icy cold sugar syrup which helps to retain its shape.
Rasgulla Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients for the rasgulla recipe including a quick step by step preparation of bengali rosogulla recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.