Cooking tips and tricks : 28 Indian cooking tips for kitchen
Cooking is an art it takes time to know every cooking tips and tricks. Because it requires a lot of practice and experimentation with ingredients to become a master in the kitchen.
If you are a home chef then don’t worry here are the most useful 28 Indian cooking tips for the kitchen you can try for efficient cooking.
How to fix excess water in the curry
To fix excess water in the curry or gravy first simmer the curry on low heat with the lid open for a few minutes, it helps to evaporate some of the excess water.
You can also thicken the curry by adding a thickening agent, such as cornstarch or flour and or ground nuts, which will absorb some of the excess liquid from your curry.
You May Like
How to enhance flavour in your Indian dish
To enhance flavour in your Indian dish first roast whole spices on low flame before grinding or using them which helps to bring out their aroma.
You can add various ground spices to enhance the aroma of your Indian dish.
Finally, you can add desi Ghee or clarified butter to your Indian recipes which adds a rich, nutty flavour to dishes.
Before serving your recipe you even sprinkle some fresh herbs including coriander leaves, Kasuri methi or yoghurt to enhance the flavour of the dish.
How to retain the green colour of leafy vegetables
How to retain flavour of the Indian spices for longer
To retain the flavour of the Indian spices for a longer period make sure to keep your spices in airtight containers away from heat, lights and moisture, as they lose their flavour when exposed to humidity and become clump or spoil.
Before using them make sure to roast the whole spices on a pan before using them can help to bring out their flavour.
How to prevent rice from sticking
To prevent the rice from sticking, first rinse the rice before cooking which helps to remove excess starch, which can cause the rice to stick together.
Then use a heavy-bottomed pot or pan will distribute heat evenly, helping to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
Adding a small amount of oil or butter to the water before adding the rice can help to create a barrier between the rice and the pot, preventing sticking.
How to reduce excess salt in curries
To reduce excess salt in curries you can various techniques first one is to add more water to dilute the curry consistency then simmer the curry for a longer period of time.
Second one, increase the quantities of vegetables, meat or lentils in the curry, which helps to balance out the saltiness of the curry.
and the last one is to add a pinch of sugar or a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to help balance the flavours of saltiness.
How to make creamy Indian gravies
How to prevent garlic from burning
- Use a heavy- bottomed pan: To prevent garlic from burning always use a heavy-bottomed pan that helps to distribute heat evenly.
- Stir frequently on low heat: Garlic can burn quickly so always cook it on low heat and stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Cook it first: To avoid garlic from burning you can cook garlic first before adding other ingredients. These simple hacks will help you to get fully-cooked garlic.
- Sprinkle water: While sauteing garlic if the pan dries out quickly then you can sprinkle water in the pan to prevent garlic from burning.
- Check the quality of browning: First thing you have to check the quality of the browning, if it is very little brown then just carefully scarp the upper part of the food without scraping browned or bitter parts.This works most of the time.
- Make a little bit acidic: To fix the browning of food you can add a small amount of lemon juice or vinegar this acidic property help to get the bright colour of the food.
- Add sugar or honey: If food tastes bitter then you can add a little bit of sugar or honey to the dish, which help to balance out the bitterness in the dish.
- Increase water quantity: If your dish is related to soup or curry based then just increase the amount of water this surely helps to reduce the bitter flavour of your dish.
How to get rid of acidic curry
How to reheat pizza and other baked goods without drying
Here are the most effective cooking tips and tricks to reheat pizza and other baked goods without drying.
- Oven reheat: First, preheat the oven to 300 to 325 degrees Fahrenheit then place the pizza or baked goods on a baking sheet covered with foil to trap moisture. Heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until fully heated.
- Microwave heat: For microwave heating place the pizza or baked goods on a microwave-safe plate then cover it with a damp paper towel to add moisture while reheating. Heat for about 30 seconds intervals, check in between and flip the pizza or baked goods on the other sides.
How to reheat pasta in the microwave
To reheat pasta in the microwave you can follow bellow cooking tips and tricks.
- Use microwave-safe bowl: To reheat pasta in the microwave effectively use a microwave safe bowl, place the pasta in it.
- Add a little water: While reheating pasta in the microwave it can dry out very quickly. So to avoid this add a little water or a tablespoon of olive oil which help to keep the moisture in the pasta.
- Cover the dish: Now cover the pasta with a microwave-safe plastic wrap or lid to trap in the steam in the pasta evenly.
- Stir occasionally: While reheating stir the pasta occasionally for every 1 to 2 minute. This will help the heat distributed evenly throughout the pasta.
How to reheat fried chicken or french fries in the microwave
To reheat fried chicken or french fries in the microwave, first place the food on a microwave-safe plate then cover it with a microwave-safe lid or a microwave-safe plastic wrap.
Now heat the food in the microwave on medium for 1 to 2 minutes. Always check in between the food to prevent it from overheating or burning.
How to save fresh herbs for later use
To save fresh herbs for later use, you can perform below kitchen hacks.
- Freeze them: First chop the fresh herbs then place them in an ice cube tray. Pour water in tray and freeze. Once frozen, transfer the herb cubes to a plastic bag or container.
- Dry them: You can dry the herbs, then crush or crumble the leaves and store them in an airtight container for later use.
- Store in oil or vinegar: You can store herbs in oil or vinegar for this first place the herbs in a jar then cover with vinegar or oil the herbs with oil, making sure they are fully submerged. After that seal the jar and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
How to make a perfect poached egg
To make a perfect poached egg you have to follow bellow cooking tips and tricks.
- Use a medium size pot: To make a perfect poached egg always use a medium-sized pot with water and splash of vinegar this will help the egg whites coagulate faster. Wait until water starts boiling.
- Crack egg: Then crack an egg in a small bowl or cup.
- Create a gentle vortex: Now with a spoon create a gentle vortex. Then carefully slip the egg into the vortex and let it cook for 2-3 minutes for a soft yolk or 3-4 minutes for a firmer yolk.
- Poached egg ready: Finally remove the poached egg from the water using a slotted spoon, then place on a clean kitchen towel to remove any excess water from it.
How to cut cherry tomatoes in half all at once
To cut cherry tomatoes in half all at once you need two things first a sharp knife and similar size ripe cherry tomatoes.
- First place the same sized ripe cherry tomatoes in a single layer on a cutting board.
- Then using a sharp knife hold it parallel to the cutting board, and make one swift motion, this will cut all the tomatoes in half at one go.
- If any tomatoes are not fully cut, just use the tip of the knife to slice through the remaining flesh to separate the halves.
How to pick cilantro leaves quickly
To pick cilantro leaves quickly you can follow below cooking tips and tricks.
- First throughly rinse cilantro leaves under cold running water to remove any dirt or debris from it.
- Next, hold the stem with one hand and use a fork or your fingers from the tip of a bunch of cilantro to down the stem.
- When you plucked all of the leaves then carefully discard the stem and any yellow or brown leaves from your collection.
How to check oil is hot enough for frying
To check whether oil is hot enough for frying you can perform below cooking tips and tricks.
- Wooden spoon test: To check whether your oil is hot enough for frying just dip the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles form around the wooden spoon, then you can say the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Water test: This is one of the effective tests. Just be careful while carrying out this test. For this sprinkle a few drops of water into the oil. If the water sizzles and pops, then you can conclude your oil is ready for frying.
- Flour test: This is a very simple test. Just place a small pinch of flour in the oil. If it sizzles and browns within a few seconds, then you can say oil is hot enough for frying.
- Thermometer: You can use a deep-fry thermometer to check the temperature of the oil. make sure place the thermometer in the oil and not touching the bottom of the pan. Wait for the actual temperature required for your dish.
Also read : What is lemon rind?Lemon rind benefitsand uses
How to measure sticky stuff without the mess
To measure sticky stuff while preparing your dish you must follow below cooking tips and tricks.
- Non-stick cooking spray: Always coat the measuring spoon and cup with non-stick cooking spray. This technique will help the sticky ingredients to slide out of the spoon and cup easily.
- Silicone utensils: To measure sticky ingredients you can use silicone spatula or spoon as they have non-stick surface. This will help to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the utensil.
- Plastic wrap: While measuring sticky stuff you can use a plastic wrap. For this place a plastic wrap over a measuring spoon or cup before measuring the sticky ingredient. The sticky ingredients will stick to the plastic wrap, which makes it easy to transfer to the mixing bowl.
Also read : 14 most popular chinese food
How to De-crystallize honey
Crystallization of the Honey is a natural process, to avoid this you can store the honey in a cool and dark place.
- Place Honey Jar under sunlight: To de-crystallize honey, you can place the honey jar under direct sunlight for some hour. The hot temperature helps the honey to return it’s original consistency.
- Shake Honey Jar: Just tightly close the honey jar and shake well for some minutes, the forward and backward motion will help to break up the crystal and return the honey to its original state.
- Heat Honey Jar: To de-crystallize honey you can place honey jar in a pot of warm water, heat it in low flame and stir occasionally until it becomes liquid. Otherwise, place the honey jar inside a microwave heat 5 to 10 second at a time and stir in between to de-crystallize honey properly.
Also read : Is egg veg or non veg?
How to make rotis soft
Rotis or Indian flatbread are one of the main dishes in Indian cuisine. To make Rotis soft you have to follow the below cooking tips and tricks.
First knead the dough well to develop the gluten in it, which helps to make soft Rotis.
You can add a little oil or ghee while kneading, after that cover the dough and keep it rest for at least 30 minutes before making roti. This helps the gluten to relax and results in softer rotis.
Also read : How to store lemon fresh for longer period
How to cook chickpeas faster
There are various ways to cook chickpeas faster. Here are a few cooking hacks which work exceptionally well for this purpose.
First, soak chickpeas overnight in water to reduce the cooking time.
Otherwise, you can boil chickpeas in a pressure cooker adding a pinch of baking soda to the water while boiling help them to cook faster.
Also read : How to clean mussel and debeard mussel
Use a heavy-bottomed pan for cooking
Most Indian dishes are cooked on medium-high heat, so it’s important to use a heavy-bottomed pan for cooking to prevent burning the food.
Also read : Indian dal names in English and Hindi
How to add tadka to dal
To make your Indian dal more flavourful you can add tadka or temper to it. For this just remember this simple cooking tips and tricks , first heat ghee in a small pan on medium heat then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaves, dried red chilies,
When they start to sizzle, add finely chopped ginger, garlic and a pinch of hing, and saute them for a few seconds until fragrant.
Finally, add the mixture to your cooked dal, stir well and let it simmer for a minute or two.
Also read : 22 best kitchen hacks of 2023
How to get maximum juice from Lemons
If you want to extract the maximum amount of juice from your lemon then you must remember this cooking tips. First, place the lemon inside a microwave for at least 20 seconds,
after that cut the bottom first so that all the juice runs through the fruit instead of getting trapped in the rind then squeeze the lemon and get so much more juice from it.
Also read : Top 28 list of Indian Spices
How to effectively use seeds and nuts in cooking
If you are using seeds and nuts in your dishes then first soak seeds or nuts in warm water for at least 20 minutes before roasting them because it softens the shells and allows them to get crispier.
Also read : How to clean stainless steel sink
Use Kitchen Scissors instead of a Knife
For more efficiency in your kitchen work specially in chopping and cutting vegetables use kitchen scissors instead of a knife whenever possible because it is very easy to cut fresh herbs, green leaves and chicken for use in your salad.
How to cook on grilling pan
To cook on the grilling pan you have to remember this cooking tips and tricks, for this first preheat the grill pan before adding food then apply oil or cooking spray to prevent food from sticking to the pan.
If possible cut food into small-sized pieces for even cooking.
For the best results while cooking on a grilling pan, keep the grill pan on medium-high heat and use tongs or a spatula to turn food, as opposed to a fork, to prevent juices from escaping.