Chilli potato recipe is one of the popular Indo Chinese recipe where fried crispy potatoes tossed in sweet and sour spicy sauce, along with onion and capsicum gravy .This honey chilli potato recipe is not only very delicious but also very easy to make at home . In this post, you will learn how to make chilli potato?
The method of this honey chilli pottao recipe is same to other indo chinese recipes inclucding chilli paneer , chilli chicken , veg manchurian etc.
If you are beginner , want to cook indo chinese recipe first time then you are in right place, here you will know how to make chilli potato at home.
Note : if you are in a hurry, feel free to click on the following links to check your desired topic.If you’d like to see our in-depth step by step recipe preparation keep reading!
What is chilli potato recipe?
Chilli potato or honey chilli potato recipe is one of the popular indo chinese recipe made with crispy fried potato sticks tossed in sweet and sour spicy sauce made with red chili sauce, soy sauce, a pinch of salt, sugar , vinegar, slurry of cornflour-water and cubed onion, capsicum.
Though this recipe is a semi dry chilli potato version, however if you want to cook chilli potato gravy as a main dish with fried rice or noodles, just increase cornflour slurry , spices , sauces and proportion amount of water.
What to serve with chilli potato?
⇒ Must Check Recipes
- Chicken masala
- Butter chicken
- Kadai chicken
- Chicken korma
- Chicken 65
- Chicken chettinad
- Chicken biryani
Tips to make best honey chilli potato recipe
- Best Potatoes : The best potatoes to cook honey chilli potato is gold standard russet potato or choose any starchiest potatoes, which generally have tough, thick skins. Avoid wax potatoes, as these have a lower starch content becomes hollow when fried as the water evaporates.
- Soak Potatoes : Soaking potatoes in cold water help potatoes to removes excess starch from the exterior and it also helps in creating the crisp exterior in our french fry.
- Cooking Method : For crispy honey chilli potato fry the potatoes at 300 F to make them crispy and slightly golden brown from outside.Make sure don’t burn the potato fries.
- Choice of Oil : I suggest you can use any type of odorless and high smoke point oil for example vegetable oil, sunflower oil , peanut oil, canola oil etc.Never use mustard oil which we most use in indian kitchen it drastically change flavor of french fries.
More Recipes You May Love
How to make chilli potato?
Here, the complete recipe for chilli potato preparation classified into three simple categories first one is preparing potatoes for chilli potato,
the second one is frying potatoes for chilli potato recipe and the last one is making honey chilli potato recipe.
so, let’s make it now.
Preparing potatoes for chilli potato
1. At first , thoroughly wash 4 large potatoes then peel the potatoes with a peeler for chilli potato.
2. After that hold each potato in one hand and cut the potatoes into vertically slice off 1/2 inch thickness,
3. Then rest the flat sides and cut the each sides into vertical sticks or length wise into equal thickness.
4. To make crispy honey chilli potato pour these potatoes in a large bowl of water and soak them in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to remove extra starch from it.
5. Now pour water in a large kadai , sprinkle pinch of salt and boil the water for sometime , when water starts boiling , take out the potatoes from refrigerator place in hot water and blanch the potatoes for at least 3 min.
6. Next drain the water and place the blanch potatoes on kitchen cloth and completely dry the blanch potatoes with this cloth.
7. Now in a large bowl add this blanch potatoes, sprinkle 4 tbsp cornstarch powder in it,pinch of black pepper powder , salt and 1/2 tablespoon of red chili powder, pinch of yellow food color.
8. Now mix all of the ingredients properly, if possible don’t use hand, just shake the bowl with two hands.
Frying potatoes for chilli potato recipe
1. Now for frying potatoes for chilli potato recipe heat 600 ml oil in a large kadai.
2. When oil is hot gently put coated potatoes in oil one by one.Now fry the potatoes in medium flame till they become completely crispy from outside and juicy from inside.
3. After that take them out and drain the french fries on kitchen tissue.Finally our fried potatoes are ready for crispy honey chilli potato.
How to make honey chilli potato
1. At first for making honey chilli potato , heat 4 to 5 tbsp oil in a pan and spread it evenly in medium flame.
2. Next add 1 tbsp chopped ginger-garlic.Saute in medium to low flame until the raw smell of ginger-garlic goes away.
3. Now add a layer separated onion add cube cut capsicum and fry for another 3 to 4 min in medium flame then cook in medium flame 5 min until onion becomes slightly golden brown and capsicum becomes soft but crunchy.
4. Also add chopped green chili.
5. Next add 1 teaspoon red chili powder , 2 tablespoon red chili sauce , 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
6. Also add 2 teaspoon vinegar and
7. Pour dash of water, and mix everything for 1 to 2 min in medium flame.
8. Now make a quick stir of everything and simmer the sauce for another 3 to 4 min in medium to low flame.
9. Next pour cornflour slurry made of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 6 tablespoon water and mix properly.
10. Now add 1 teaspoon salt adjust later if required.
11. To balance out the taste of chilli sauce adds 2 tbsp honey and for bright color 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder.
12. Finally, add fried potatoes to this chili gravy.
13. Mix everything in medium to high flame up to 2 to 3 min until all the fried chicken mix completely in gravy, for garnishing these boneless chilli chicken recipe add spring onions, chopped coriander leaves.
Chilli Potato Recipe Card
Here is a quick overview of all the ingredients of chilli potato recipe including quick step by step preparation of honey chilli potato recipe shown in the recipe card.
Take note of all ingredient lists.